Ask
    Ratli249 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
    If I have child and I am 16 can I get emancipated
    Have a child and 16
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2011, 11:47 AM

Lot of factors at play here... Starting with what Country and state, or region do you live.

Are you legally self supporting NOW.

You can't get emancipated and expect someone else to foot the bills both. You are on the COMPLETE hook for taking care of yourself and child after you are.
    sam8988378 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Having a child isn't necessary for a 16 year old to become an emancipated minor. Legal requirements vary according to where you live. It isn't easy. If your locality permits this, you must petition the Court. You would have to prove that you could support yourself 'without assistance', and have the consent of your parents. In situations of abuse/neglect, the Courts will likely remand the minor to foster care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the state of louisana are you automatically emancipated if you have a child? [ 1 Answers ]

My sons girlfriend has lived with me for 10 months and has just had their baby 7 weeks ago. My son left to go to college and she then moved back home in louisana with her mom less than a week ago. She now wants to come back to Missouri to live with me. She's only 16, does she now have to get...

How to get emancipated? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 17 yrs old. Soon to be 18 in less than 6months, I was wondering if I could emancipate myslef from my guardian?. I lost my mother 2 yrs ago. And my father has nothing to do with me. My friends mother took me in and took guardianship of me. I don't see hardly if any money at all. I have to do...

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

View more questions Search