Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bullock2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Landlord wrongfully evicted tenant?
    I leased a apt in Atlanta where I work a lot. I also have a home in Indiana. For the last 4 months I've been in Indiana but I've sent my rent and paid via money orders. Last week I get a call from friends who live in apts who say my things have been thrown out of my apt. As a result, all of my possessions were stollen. When asked the apts claim no rent was ever received but did admit that they were having problems with money orders being stolen. They say that all the proper notices were issued with no response. However, I never received any papers or phone calls. When I got copies of the notices including demands, eviction, writ of possession etc; they all had someone else's name on them. (my name nowhere on). I am familiar with person and did on occasion let them stay at apt but did not sub-lease the property nor were they part of the original lease agreement. Is this considered a wrongful eviction? Can I sue for the cost of my things? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 02:53 PM

Can you sue, sure, but you must prove they did not follow Goegia eviction laws. Read your lease carefully to see if there is a clause about abandonement. Georgia Evictions
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 02:55 PM

Was your mail being forwarded? Was someone responsible for opening it and advising you what mail you received?

If you were evicted for non-payment (and the friend staying there has nothing to do with the eviction) take your proof (dted money order receipts; verify that they have or have not been cashed) to Small Claims Court and sue for the loss of your property.

A review of the eviction file will tell you what steps the landlord took and whether he complied with State law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tenant stay only 1 week after a 60 day notice, if the landlord & tenant agree? [ 10 Answers ]

My elderly widowed mother owns a low income fourplex apartment building in Santa Clara County, California. My mother would like to extensively remodel the two bedroom, and one bathroom, apartment unit that a father and son reside in. The father, and his then wife or girlfriend, signed a...

Can I get evicted from a separate tenant getting evicted [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and live in a house with 3 other people, one which is my brother and he has been late on rent.. the oowner wants to evict him.. would the landlord have the right to evict me just because I'm his brother

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

I think I am being wrongfully evicted [ 7 Answers ]

Hello my fiancée and I have lived in our apartment for 2 years when we moved in we notified our landlord that the wooden steps are very slippery due to moss well on halloween this year she fell down them while pregnant she notified him same day as fall and proceeded to hospital after months of doc...

View more questions Search