Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thinkpink4936 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Convincing parents into getting a dog
    Does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog??

I realllllyyy need help on this.. thank you soooooo much xoxoox
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
    To be honest at the end of the day your parents will have very good reasons not to get a dog and you trying to persuade them otherwise will probably strengthen their resolve.

Basically don't even waste your breath trying, the answer will still be the same... NO.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Arguments for you getting a dog. If your parents do not feel you are responsible enough to properly care for the dog, there is no argument strong enough to persuade them.

Caring for a dog is a major responsibility. Nutrition, shots, vet clinic visits, exercise, attention, grooming, toilet training and ALL that cleaning up, obedience training, and where does that dog go when the family goes on vacation? There could be kennel boarding fees involved. If the dog comes with the family - your duties remain the same as they are at home. You can't just leave the dog in the hotel and go have fun.

Can you provide for all that? Or are you expecting your parents to foot the bill for all the essentials? There are things that dog will need also, such as a portable kennel, toys, leash, etc. Also, where is this dog going to be during the day when no one is home? Outside and being a barking annoyance to the neighbors? Inside and wreaking havoc?

Think on it.
    think_pink Posts: 124, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Its hard to make the parents change there mind , so no matter what in the world happens they won't change their mind . Don't waste your time ask for something else

*hope that helps little bit (I don't think so lol ) anyway I tried to convice my parents for a puppy but it didn't work at all , lol but each parent its different
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Parents usually speak from some experience point and have a better or fuller understanding of pet responsibilities.

If you are serious though, try something that will show them a new attitude on responsibility. Try volunteering at a pet shelter or humane society. Those places always need people to come and help out with the animals.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I am getting a little confused with think_pink and think_pink4936. Your question has 2 components, facts about dog ownership, and your relationship with your parents. In my response to your original question, I discussed some of the things that make owning a dog easier that your parents may remember. One point I didn't cover is that a dog is a 24/7 responsibility for maybe the next 10-20 years. You won't be able to take it with you when you go away to college. Once out of school, you may be stuck in pet hostile apartment for a while. My son got a dog last summer. Before the shelter would give it to him, he had to have a note, not from me, but his landlord. Last time I signed for anything for him it was a Miata.

Have you demonstrated to your parents you can be responsible and do your chores? Even carefully following the housebreaking procedure in the dog sticky, there will be accidents (neglects?) to clean up. Will you do it?

Yes, even free dogs from the shelter are expensive. We dog lovers hate it when somebody posts a question saying th
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
    And IF you do talk them into it - PLEASE make sure to do your homework about a suitable breed for your lifestyle and that of your family, consider a rescue or shelter dog, and spay/neuter as soon as the dog is old enough.

-Beth
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Well I'm in your situation right now. I talk to my parents about multiple times a day, they get annoyed but they know I really care about it. I spend like four hours a day on the computer searching breeds and exc. [ when my parents are home of course ;) ] right now my parents told me I could really show them I'm dedicated and responsible by taking 3 walks a day around the neighbor hood, in the morning, the afternoon and the evening. Which really isn't bad because I love taking walks. (not that I'll tell them that lol) I'm hoping to get one for christmas, we'll see how it goes. I'll update you if I get one : )
    -Abby xox
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
    So how old are you? With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea.
    In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban
    Areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings
    For extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog
    Or canine club. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a
    Pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much
    Easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn
    To play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience
    Class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete.

The local 4-H leaders here want the dog to be born by Labor Day.
    DogLover62 Posts: 34, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I understand that you want a dog thinkpink4936. I wanted a dog too, and I did get one I got a siberian husky. Now, my parents were not fully against the idea of getting a dog because we have had dogs before but they weren't sure if I was going to be responsible enough to take care of a dog. Your parents must have a reason why not to get a dog. So find out that reason. If it's because they don't think your responsible then prove to them that you are. Give them reasons you want a dog, what you will do if you get the dog. If you don't know a lot about dogs than search on the internet or ask people you know if they have dogs or if they know about dogs and get some information about dogs. If you don't care what kind of breed of dog you want than that's fine but if you do want a certain breed find some information about that breed and where you can find that kind of breed. Also find out some prices. You don't want something too pricy because that might change your parents mind about that dog or breed of that dog. Also try to find places with dogs close to you so your parents don't have to drive that far. If you really want a dog than your probably going to have to awnser questions like this. Are you going to take care of it? Feed it? Walk It? Train it? Clean up its messes? Are you ready for that?? And if you are and you say yes. Your going to be expected to do that. Try all that. And if that still doesn't work. Post something and I'll try to check and reply.

DogLover62
    ddayynaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
    I'm in a situation, I had a beagle/lab mix, I LOVED her! She got hit by a car and I obviously bawled for days and days, so we got a five year old mini-schnauzer. I have had an outdorr ALL THE TIME husky for about 5 or 6 years. He recently ate on of our cats... two of them actually. Well any who I want another beagle/lab mix that I found in our paper, my mom abviously said no, and I didn't tell my dad. My dad said we wontbe getting rid of my husky outside because he didn't do anything wrong, he simply mistaken the kitten for a toy. I keep on telling my mom how much I would take care of it, love it, play with it, walk it, etc. Everything I have tried and it is no because tis, "i dont want to have to be ome with it while you are at school". I told her that it could be inside when I'm with it an I'm at home, and if she doesn't want to be with it she can put it in our HUGE kennel outside. I know my other dogs (inside and outdoor) wouldn't have a problem with it. and the dog 1 year and TRAINED!! HELP ME PLEASE!! MY BIRTHDAY IS Coming UP AND I NEED THIS DOG B$ SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!! Please give me some tips:)))) :(((
    ddayynaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
    I'm in a situation, I had a beagle/lab mix, I LOVED her! She got hit by a car and I obviously bawled for days and days, so we got a five year old mini-schnauzer. I have had an outdorr ALL THE TIME husky for about 5 or 6 years. He recently ate on of our cats... two of them actually. Well any who I want another beagle/lab mix that I found in our paper, my mom abviously said no, and I didn't tell my dad. My dad said we wontbe getting rid of my husky outside because he didn't do anything wrong, he simply mistaken the kitten for a toy. I keep on telling my mom how much I would take care of it, love it, play with it, walk it, etc. Everything I have tried and it is no because tis, "i dont want to have to be ome with it while you are at school". I told her that it could be inside when I'm with it an I'm at home, and if she doesn't want to be with it she can put it in our HUGE kennel outside. I know my other dogs (inside and outdoor) wouldn't have a problem with it. and the dog 1 year and TRAINED!! HELP ME PLEASE!! MY BIRTHDAY IS Coming UP AND I NEED THIS DOG B$ SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!! Please give me some tips:)))) :(((
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:41 PM

Why don't you give love to your other dogs?
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Getting a dog takes lots of responsibility and money.

How old are you? (It sounds like your young and your parents don't think your responsible)

Have you had a pet before? (If you've had a pet before you would know that pet care isn't as easy as it sounds)

Do you know anything about a dog? (Before getting a pet it's better to know more about them)

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 29, 2009, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ddayynaaa View Post
    im in a situation, i had a beagle/lab mix, i LOVED her! she got hit by a car and i obviously bawled for days and days, so we got a five year old mini-schnauzer. i have had an outdorr ALL THE TIME husky for about 5 or 6 years. he recently ate on of our cats...two of them actually. well any who i want another beagle/lab mix that i found in our paper, my mom abviously said no, and i didnt tell my dad. My dad said we wontbe getting rid of my husky outside because he didnt do anything wrong, he simply mistaken the kitten for a toy. i keep on telling my mom how much i would take care of it, love it, play with it, walk it, etc.! everything i have tried and it is no because tis, "i dont want to have to be ome with it while you are at school". i told her that it could be inside when im with it an im at home, and if she doesnt want to be with it she can put it in our HUGE kennel outside. i know my other dogs (inside and outdoor) wouldnt have a problem with it.! and the dog 1 year and TRAINED!!!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!! MY BIRTHDAY IS COMMING UP AND I NEED THIS DOG B$ SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!!! please give me some tips:)))) :(((

Oh my! Where to begin? Reading something like this saddens me deeply. Ever since getting my Siberian husky and even before that I've had a great love for the breed. They're majestic look and playful and curious attitude made them stand out from all other breeds. So you could probably understand why this would upset me. PLease don't take this the wrong way. But you SHOULDN'T get another dog, as you and your parents can't take care of the ones you already own. You're husky alone is lacking in tsome of the most important things. No dog should have to stay outside. It is unethical and could prove fatal for the dog. Also your dad was right. It wasn't your husky's fault that it killed the cats. And he didn't mistake them for a toy, he set out to kill them and that's what he did. It was yours and your parents. This dog should have been trained from a young age that the cats are to be respected. Siberians have a high prey drive, therefore training is a MUST!

You say it as though its no big deal that he ate your cats, but it is. So this dog has been kept out doors and has not been trained. It sounds like he got the raw end of a deal. Remember dogs don't get to pick which home they go to, so its up to us to ensure their life is a good one.

Don't say this dog was trained as my dog is a Husky also. And despite his breed he gets along great with my cats, and even better with my rabbit.

Before even considering getting another dog, train the ones you currently own!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 08:46 AM
    How did your dog manage to get out to get hit by a car? I'm sorry it happened,:( but maybe you had one too many to watch.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

How can I tell my parents ? [ 7 Answers ]

Can any 1 help me I'm so scared and nervous to tell my parents I want to sing but I don't no how I'm scared they won't like my voice or they don't take me seriously can any 1 help ? Please

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search