Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loadon_8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 07:19 PM
    I have a friend that cuts herself.
    I have a really good friend that cuts herself. It makes me really sad whenever the topic comes up. But I decided that she really needs help and if I was a good friend I wouldn't sit back and just watch her do it. So I'm not. Im in the 8th grade and my friend is in the 7th. I recently just discovered that my friend cuts herself. She said she used to do it a lot last year but never told me and she's starting to do it a lot more again this year. She says she does it because she just gets really depressed and starts doing it. She told this other girl that she thought she could trust but that girl told a lot of people and now the whole school knows. She crys everyday because people tease her witch makes her do it even more. Her family is a great family that care about her but they don't know about the cutting. One of our teachers know and our teachers told this doctor they knew. I would just really like to stop it because I don't want to see her get really hurt or worse. She is a normal very pretty great student and person basically an average 13 year old girl with a wonderful life and I don't want to see her wreck it. Please help me.
    brit_h Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2011, 07:59 PM
    First of all you are a great friend! And I can tell you that most of the time when people hurt themselves is because they have low self-esteem or is hurting on the inside.. what I mean by that is that she may feel stressed out or depressed like you said. Someone may have hurt her and she is blaming herself for it. The best thing for you to do is to talk to her and let her know how you feel. Tell her that her parents should know because they could help her. I say that she is very lucky to have a friend like you! Hope I helped you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 09:19 PM

If adults know about this, what is being done? Why don't her parents know?

The person who cuts feels like he/she has no control over anything. Cutting becomes something they can do that they can control.

She needs to be in therapy so that she can understand why she cuts and find out how she can stop.
    Aprilshowers44 Posts: 28, Reputation: 10

Feb 14, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Unfortunately you alone can't stop it. Someone who cuts either feels like that is their release from emotional pain or that they feel so empty that they just want to feel something. This is an epidemic and she does need help. I would tell her family about it but not when she is around. She needs therapy to help her cope with it and getting silent (and she is silent about it because she is embarrassed) won't help her. If everybody at school knows you could also tell your school counselor and have him/her tell her parents for you. Being there for her and being a good friend is all you can do but I am sure it helps, especially with the teasing.
    tomoiskool11 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
    I just found out my girlfriend does it and has been doing it for a while. She made me promise not to tell anyone. It's been a while a our talks haven't helped her.but I don't know if I should tell her parents and risk making her feel even worse about herself
    drakelouis29 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 12:17 AM
    First of all its very kind of you that you care about your friend so much. But I think you need to tell her parents so that they can consult a psychiatrist. And that would definitely help her out. Please inform them they have a right to know.
    tsmit475 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
    First of you're a wonderful friend and I wish there could be a lot more friends like you out there :)
    Second of all here are some steps to help forgive me for being late :)

1. let her know she's not alone because its really important she knows even if you think she does there's always a possibility she doesn't (I didnt)

2. ask her about it let her know your interested in what she's got to say

3. if she doesn't want to talk to you or anyone else encourage her to go to headspace.com or call kids helpline that's what their there for or find someone else, in the meantime don't tell her not to do it because it will push her away find alternatives like putting ice on her bare skin or she could snap a rubber band againgst her wrist there are many alternatives ask her whitch she prefers make sure not to overcroud her

Don't worry it will all be OK
    BethVader Posts: 92, Reputation: 9

Jul 30, 2012, 12:29 AM
    Tell her parents right away. She might hate you for it at first,
    But what if she cuts too deep and dies, then how would feel?
    You must let her parents know NOW before it's too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My friend cuts herself, what do I do? [ 35 Answers ]

I have a friend that is really close to me that I have known for awhile. I recently discovered that she cuts herself and I have no idea why. She told me she digs into her skin with her razor on her legs. And last night she apparently cut her forearms with a knife. I was speaking to her about it and...

Sony screen cuts off after it cuts on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sony PC and the screen will come on and after a second or two it will cut off I can turn it off and back on and it will come on and cut back off I tried hooking it to another PC but it does the same thing I even changed cords

Cuts off [ 2 Answers ]

1999 Honda Accord cuts off on its own like switch has been turned off

1992 civic cuts out while driving and starts after a little while then cuts out [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 1992 civic and recently it just started cutting out while driving. The first day I was ready to get onto the freeway and it just cut out. It started again after a while and was okay getting home. It ran a little rough but made it home. The next day it was fine on the way to work but coming...

View more questions Search