Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Waterbub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 01:06 AM
    High pitched noise in outside water pipes
    Lately, every time I use the washing machine or flush the toilet, a high pitched noise can be heard in the outside pipes for about 10 minutes. I can't hear the noise inside the house. What can it be? How can it be stopped?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Feb 6, 2011, 02:46 PM

While that high-pitched noise (HPN) is happening, open another faucet somewhere and see if the increased flow causes the HPN to go away or change in volume or pitch. If it does, then it is a flow issue at some narrow range of water flow somewhere in the supply plumbing. If it doesn't, then most likely is in the commode or wash machine valve. It may be more audible somewhere else, but it usually is in the valve itself. There often isn't much to do except replace the offending valve, but it is a lot cheaper to ignore it if you only hear it outside.

I know of a house that has a whine in one circulator zone. At least that one goes away in the summer. :^D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 02:56 PM

So no other fixtures being used can create this sound, right? Try all of your cold taps see if anything else can do it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High-pitched, loud noise while A/C unit is running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Mfg. A/C split unit outside my house. When it is running, it makes a really loud, high-pitched noise. Is this an indication of a problem? I have a home warranty and am wondering if this qualifies for a repair service call through the warranty company.

I get a high pitched noise from my water pipes when the water is off? [ 5 Answers ]

It stops when I turn on any tap in the house (Hot or cold) or flush the toilet. The noise starts at random at any time, then stops and starts randomly. Until I turn on a tap then it goes quiet for a few minutes. Any ideas?

Shower makes high pitched noise [ 0 Answers ]

I have an American Standard, link to .pdf of the exact product; http://www.americanstandard-us.com/assets/documents/amstd/spec/SpecSheet_1028.pdf And turning just the hot water on there is a very high pitched noise until we mix with cold water. This was installed last year when we remodeled...

High Pitched Whistle from pipes going to baseboard [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting a high pitched whistle from my pipes. Whenever the circulator pumps turns on I hear it. I have written in this forum about this before and have done many things to correct it. I replaced the baseboard. The noise went away only to come back two days later. I swapped circulator pumps....

Whirlpool high pitched noise then no spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool Gold heavy duty super capacity quiet washing machine. For a few weeks there would be this high pitched noise right when the spin cycle started for about 10 seconds. It would happen in both the wash and rinse cycle. I did 1 load and everything was OK and then the next load it will...

View more questions Search