Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdevereaux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Disc Drives Won't Read Media
    I think my computer has caught some strange disease. It is extremely sluggish and I cannot log on to my DSL internet, even though two computers hooked up by USB wireless adapters in the next bed rooms have no problem accesing the net. Therefore, I decided to backup all my data files and start fresh by reinstalling win xp but suddenly none of my two dvd drives can read the xp installation cd or any media--copied or original! This is weird. Never happened to me before. After I right click My Computer and click on Manage and click on disk management my two harddrives C and D appear ONLY after a very long wait but my two disc drive show no media? Can anyone tell me how I can get around this problem so that I can do a clean install of Win xp?
    Scouter Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 08:16 PM
    When you reinstall XP it is best to do it in stages.
    Firs t make a note of where usb, printers, mouse keyboard are plugged.
    Disconnect the internet, speakers, any usb device.
    Use a plain keyboard.
    Disconnect your 2nd hard drive.
    Disconnect 2nd dvd drive I am assuming one is read/write You want read only type connected. You do this by disconnecting power cord to computer then open the case and remove power connector to that dvd drive. Reconnect the power to the computer. Put in the XP disk and retry.
    If it succeeds then add speaker connection restart see if you have sound.
    Continue with the install Next is anti-virus program and spyware
    Connect to internet do your windows updates then start with 2nd hard drive.
    Follow through with one item at a time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Media Program will read an ISO file straight from a PC [ 7 Answers ]

What I really need is a Media Player that will play a .ISO file (A DVD Movie) straight from my PC. I am going to IRAQ and want to take some movies with me over there. Vice taking the Hard DVD's. Anyone have any idea?

My com. Won't read my cds. [ 4 Answers ]

Do you know how to get an hp pavilion mx75 to reads cds, it also has a cd burner, and I also have system recovery disc1-3, however, it won't come up on the computer at all. Thank you for your help!:confused:

O.S won't read new floppy disk drives. [ 3 Answers ]

xxxxxx OilMan6 :confused: 11 November 2005. 1733 Hrs. Central U.S. time. SUBJECT: Operating system won't read new floppy disk drives. Operating system being used: Windows XP Professional with SP#2. I bought two new Imation floppy disk drives.

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem. The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out...

View more questions Search