Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugar7998 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 06:36 PM
    Female dog won't go and stay outside since I'm pregnant.
    I'm pregnant and my female dog won't go and stay outside.she scratches at the door and is driving me crazy! What do I do? I don't want to go out with her, my male stays out.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2011, 06:54 AM

How long are you putting her out for? How cold is it? Has she always been inside until you got pregnant?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 07:14 AM

Is there a particular reason you NEED her to stay outside? Dogs don't affect pregnancy the way a cat can.

Is it cold? If she was a house dog she just may not like the outdoors.

Feb 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
    She needs to use the bathroom, she is inside all day. I let them out 3 times a day, she doesn't go pee unless I stand there and I'm not sure if she is ever pooping, she wants back in just as sson as she steps foot outside and I shut the door. She use to go in and out when we had a doggie door. Its just been since I am pregnant. I need her not under my feet for a while and when the baby gets here she will need to stay out more.

Feb 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Comment on sugar7998's post
    Oh, and I live in Florida, its not cold.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 12:57 PM

After the baby is born do you think you won't have the time and/or energy for the dogs? If this is a dog accustomed to being inside most of the time and suddenly she's outside most of the time that will be a big, not necessarily easy, adjustment for her.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2011, 02:24 PM
    Your dog is being needy because there is a change with you.

Although I don't believe in dogs getting upset over an owner getting pregnant, some dogs can sense a change in your attitude over the news.

Animals don't understand or have a feeling of "excitment" over the news of becoming pregnant. If you are excitied, your pooch senses this and is probably thinking there is something wrong. She doesn't want to leave you, just in case she needs to take care of you.

She could also have separation anxiety. You may have never noticed it before due to the fact you weren't requiring her to stay out longer.

It may be too cold out for her. Maybe get a dog house for her to crawl into while she is to remain outside.

You can also just tough it through her transition. You can purchase a citronella bark collar and put it on her. It is triggered by whining along with barking. The collar will correct her behavior, without you having to do it yourself. The collar is not a painful collar, instead, it sprays citronella under the dogs nose. Dogs hate citronella! She'll learn to be quiet.

Not really any special training technique to make a dog enjoy being outside. Either stick her out and ignore her whining, or let her in and give her her own room where you can be free of dogs.

Feb 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
    Comment on Lucky098's post
    Thank you... its so strange, she use to really enjoy being outside. She must just be wanting to be protective. Its just annoying because no matter where I go in the house I can hear her whining at the door. I'm going to check into the collar.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 07:08 AM

You said that she used to go in and out on her own when you had a doggy door. When did you stop using it and is that when this behavior began? Did stopping use of the doggy door coincide with your pregnancy? Before the pregnancy, how much time did you spend outside with the dogs?

Does she understand that 'go potty' means use the bathroom or 'go play' means to entertain herself?

It sounds to me like she is upset at being locked out of the house after she had freedom to come and go as she wanted. You may have to do some training with her to get her comfortable with being in the yard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The dog isn't skinny anymore, his stomach area is as a pregnant female [ 5 Answers ]

The dog still has the cough, he isn't skinny anymore, his stomach area is as a pregnant female. 3 different vets have given me 3 different answers to what wrong. All the dogs have been treated for worms & there aren't any signs of worms in their stools. The dog in question is active but I can tell...

Can a 5 month old puppy get a female dog pregnant [ 7 Answers ]

Our older female dog has just come into heat, we have recently got a puppy who is now 5 months old, and he has been getting pretty friendly with her since she's been in heat. Can he get her pregnant, his testicles have not dropped yet, is that a good sign, we can't get her spayed as she has a...

Operating my female Dog [ 8 Answers ]

Could you please advice me about operating my female Labe so she doesn't have puppies? She is 2.5 years old and she has never have puppies. I have a 9 months old male lab and I'm not pretending to have puppies. This is why I was thinking on operating my female Dog. But I'd like to know if this can...

Help with a pregnant female dog [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the behaviour of a pregnant female dog, How they would act towards other dogs/females,

View more questions Search