Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tikiween Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
    How to bypass a limit switch or anything in a furnace
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2011, 01:14 PM

WHy do you need to know how to bypass everything in a furnace? Planning to burn a house down because you really left what you were trying to accomplish open to a lot of speculation? Because bypassing most things in a home heating system would create a very real and very dangerous fire and safety hazzard.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Feb 1, 2011, 03:14 PM

You don't bypass a limit switch, you test it to see if it is closed (or open) when it should be. Usually limit switches are closed until the temp gets above a certain limit and then they open until it drops below a certain temp. A 150-30 limit would open at 150 deg and reset at 120 deg. If it is still open when the furnace has cooled, it is faulty. This is just one possibility. There are waaaay to many to list them all here. You have to describe your problem and what you want to do better or you will not get much good help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 04:46 PM

Right, you don't by pass a limit switch, it's there to protect you and they are resettable 99.9% of the time. Give us the brand and model of your furance and maybe we can help. Are you seeing any small flashing LED lights like maybe 3 flashes on a red light?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace: limit switch fault furnace has ignition but blower will not come on? [ 2 Answers ]

Board says it is a limit switch fault Furace goes into pre ignition, fan comes on and sometimes even the main burner ignites, but the blower will not come on... is this the blower motor or could this be a switch somewhere?

Furnace limit switch? [ 0 Answers ]

Where can I find this 1950's fan switch in the year 2011? Picture attached. It sticks closed until I remove the sensor on back.

How to bypass the limit switch on a furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outside wood furnace the blower on the inside furnace won't run I have the blower hooked up to a extension cord teporarely so the baby's don't freze can I posibly reset the limit switch or do I need to replace the inside furnace is old and I don't know about matcing parts I'm only usining...

Bypass limit switch on amercan standard freedom 90 [ 1 Answers ]

American Standard freedom 90 blows cold and red light flashes 6 times. Does this mean the igniter has gone out?

? Safe to bypass vacuum switch to test furnace ignition? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two Amana 80 SSE IIO units. One just stopped igniting. The trouble indicator light was blinking 2x to indicate the vacuum switch was stuck closed. I made sure the tube was clear, and applied suction to the tube to and could hear the switch activate. The trouble light shows clear now....

View more questions Search