Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JasonT3rd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 09:37 PM
    CPVC Couplings
    I am looking for a cpvc coupling that does not have a stop. Perhaps my local Lowe's just does not stock it, but it seems like a pretty normal item? They do stock one with a stop, but not without.

Well, I am a pretty novice plumber but have done a few DIY repairs around the house. Perhaps I have the wrong idea on how to fix it but my question is... If you have two solid pipes, meaning they are BOTH fixed and cannot be moved or even flexed at all... then how do you connect them?? I have done this with copper because there is a 4-6" coupling without a stop at my local Lowes and you can cut the pipes that extend towards each other to be pretty close...then slide the coupling down and solder both ends. First, I am assuming that is the proper repair method for copper in that situation??

Second, if I am in the same situation with CPVC, which unfortunately I am, without some crazy "convert to copper and solder your coupling" or something like that... haha... someone please lend some advice!

Also, thanks in advance... I must say I have used this site just to read peoples answers and responses as I've been working on this project and it has been extremely helpful. Some very knowledgeable people here! Thanks again!

Jason
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 04:59 AM
    You can buy CPCV compression unions at Lowe's. They are about $2 for a 3/4''. You can slide one all the way on to one pipe, add the second pipe and slide it back over the joint and tighten up the ends. The joint can be undone anytime. I have used them mostly for joining copper and CPVC. They will work on almost any pipe. To be safe, use a mechanical anchor for the pipes. In your application, the pipes may not move as is.

Jan 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
    labman, thanks so much for the reply! That seems like it will work. I have always been told and read that I should never use compression fittings inside a wall though? These fittings are safe for inside an interior wall that is hidden from access? Thanks again!

Jason
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Labman has described a PVC Dresser Coupling. You asked about a CPVC Coupling, (see image). I have misgivings about installing compression fittings inside walls. Regards, Tom

Jan 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Labman has described a PVC Dresser Coupling. You asked about a CPVC Coupling, (see image). I have misgivings about installing compression fittings inside walls. Regards, Tom
    Tom, That coupling appears to have a stop... which in turn would not solve the problem, right? I asked a few so called plumbers at Lowe's about a cpvc coupling without a stop and they didn't know and said they had never seen one? Am I confused or are they? Haha. Help me out man... can I order such an animal online? Also, I have found some sights that sell cpvc couplings, however, they do not specify if they have a stop or not... is a "straight coupling" one without a stop or is there another name for it? Thanks again!

Jason
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 09:33 PM
    I didn't realize it was going inside a wall. I would study alternatives too.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonT3rd
    I am looking for a cpvc coupling that does not have a stop. Perhaps my local lowes just does not stock it, but it seems like a pretty normal item? They do stock one with a stop, but not without.

Well, I am a pretty novice plumber but have done a few DIY repairs around the house. Perhaps I have the wrong idea on how to fix it but my question is... If you have two solid pipes, meaning they are BOTH fixed and cannot be moved or even flexed at all....then how do you connect them??? I have done this with copper because there is a 4-6" coupling without a stop at my local Lowes and you can cut the pipes that extend towards each other to be pretty close...then slide the coupling down and solder both ends. First, I am assuming that is the proper repair method for copper in that situation??

Second, if I am in the same situation with CPVC, which unfortunately I am, without some crazy "convert to copper and solder your coupling" or something like that...haha...someone please lend some advice!?

Also, thanks in advance...I must say I have used this site just to read peoples answers and responses as I've been working on this project and it has been extremely helpful. Some very knowledgeable people here! Thanks again!

Jason
    Since you are wanting a coupling without a stop I think it is going to be very hard for you to find one. But you can use a knife and a rasp and remove the stop in a regular coupling. They are not easy to use after you get them to the point that they will slip like you want them to. But it might be worth a chance. Good Luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Back in the dayze when I was out running copper we had a fitting called a "slip coupling" that had no shoulders,(stops). These couplings were used when two pieces of copper butted together and couldn't be sprung enough to fit a regular coupling on both ends. I have seaqrched the web for a PVC slip coupling and can not find one. Since most female PVC fittings have a little taper to the fitting, (that's why PVC fittings are so difficult to pull apart when you "dry fit" them.) I doubt that there is such a animal as a PVC slip coupling. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc vs cpvc [ 14 Answers ]

I am looking to replace old metal underground fittings and valves supplying water to my house. The main supply line to the house after the water meter is 1" metal, which branches off with four 1" x 1" x 3/4" T's. I attempted to find a manifold to replace all of the fittings but no luck, so I...

Cpvc vs other types of plumbing [ 7 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages between various piping... looks like I may have a good deal of plumbing that will need replacing and I would like to know what are good and bad of most popular types... thanks for any help as always.. TommyP:)

CPVC manifold? [ 3 Answers ]

I've read that PEX manifolds can be used to reduce energy costs by reducing the amount of water that must be flushed from the lines each time hot water is requested. I prefer working with cpvc rather then PEX and I'm wondering if the same efficiency could be achieved by creating a cpvc manifold...

Noisy dielectric couplings [ 1 Answers ]

I came across this post looking for an alternative such as brass fittings. The dielectric couplings installed are very noisy with water flow. These are exposed pipes in a loft style apartment, I rerouted two separate pipes replacing a galvanized section with copper in each (actually had a plumber...

Cpvc [ 3 Answers ]

ortmanprop Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005 Posts: 0 Using CPVC -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HI,

View more questions Search