Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larryv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Can I claim Head of household for 2010 taxes?
    I am single and own my home and help support my mother that lives in the same city and help her with more than 1/2 of her expenses. The question that I have is that with SSI and her 401k she made 14k this year. She will file her 2010 taxes this year and was wondering if the 14k that she claims will make me not able to claim her as a dependent. I sure could use the TAX DEDUCTION. Thank you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 07:22 PM

Did you provide support of more than $14k?
    Also SSI is not income but withdrawal from 401k is income. Is the withdrawal less than $3650?
    If both answers are yes, she is dependent and you can be head of household.
    larryv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 07:34 PM
    MukatA. Thank you for the fast response it was very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming Head of household for 2010 taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am single and own my home and help support my mother that lives in the same city and help her with more than 1/2 of her expenses. The question that I have is that with SSI and her 401k she made 14k this year. She will file her 2010 taxes this year and was wondering if the 14k that she claims will...

Roomates both claim head of household both with one child? [ 1 Answers ]

Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes both persons also ihave one child each. And pay for everything 50 -50 rent utilities

Two roomates claim head of household? [ 1 Answers ]

Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes?

H1-B Taxes Head of household or single [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I will be obtaining an H1-B visa and am currently under the F1 OPT. My employer currently deducts federal taxes under the status "head of household". My correct status, I think, is single (as I have no dependent and I am living with my fiancée). This isn't really important now since the...

Filing taxes as head of household [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I wrote a Question about how should I file my taxes, and some of you said that I could file head of household and claim my son who lives with me cause he is mildly retared and get a SSI check. Okay now Just out of I'm wondering I called the IRS, the lady on the phone said that I could file...

View more questions Search