Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggie1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Second floor laundry room drain raised above floor
    Please help! We recently moved into a new construction home. Unfortunately, our front load washer in our second floor laundry room recently continuously leaked for about 12 hours. It was a steady stream of water. Unfortunately, the drain installed by the builder is slightly raised, so ABSOLUTELY NO WATER went down the drain. It all seeped out the door under the carpet. I called our builder and he, and the plumber they sent out, said the drain installation was done correctly. It seems to me the floor should slope toward the drain. But they said that is only the case when you install a "basin" type floor (like a shower). This seems insane to me. Why install a drain, if the water won't flow toward it? I think they are feeding me a line of bs so I won't push for repair payment. Am I out of line?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 11:22 AM

They are way off on this and are trying to dodge responsibility. Call the local city building inspector and ask him to see if the home was built to code. Your home owners insurance should cover this repair if that fails but deductibles can cut deep

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain back up all over laundry room [ 1 Answers ]

We hand snaked our floor drain however it continues to back up as though clogged, flooding foul smelling water across floor during times of doing laundry, dishwashing running kitchen sink, what shall we do?

2nd floor laundry room floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

My second floor laundry room has a pan under the washer connected to a 3/4" pvc pipe that terminates in the basement just below the subfloor of the 1st floor. I am finishing the basement and want to know the best way to handle this "emergency" drain. If I tie it into the sewer I will need a trap...

Laundry room floor slanted AWAY from the drain. [ 0 Answers ]

We moved into a house with a laundry room (tiled, with a floor drain). I have discovered that the floor is slanted so that water from the washing machine (if it leaked) would actually flow AWAY from the drain toward the doorway! I'm not going to rip up the floor, but what can I do to avoid a future...

Clogged laundry room floor drain - slab house [ 2 Answers ]

What a watery mystery I have in my laundry room. Whenever my washing machine empties the tub of water it backs up into the nearby floor drain. I had a plumber out and he snaked the drain (not through the roof vent, but throughout the cleanout by the floor drain). Because he only had a 50' snake...

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

View more questions Search