Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tito7876 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 09:27 AM
    If I stay out of town for work during the week am I entitled to per diem compensation
    I have been working out of town for almost 2 years and have not received any perdiem for this. Am I entitled to compensation for this even though the housing is paid for and I have use of a company vehicle which gas is included??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2011, 09:42 AM

You are entitled to be paid according to the terms of your employment or union agreement. How is per diem addressed in the paperwork?

Do you have an expense account? Who pays for your food? (I understand the company pays for your housing and transportation.)
    tito7876 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 10:00 AM

There is no paperwork that says anything about per diem I was just wondering if I should be getting it regardless and I have to pay for my food out of pocket
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2011, 10:04 AM

You are not entitled to per diem unless it's covered by contract or union - apparently you have neither.

They could make an argument that you would have to eat wherever you are; you could make an argument that restaurant meals are more expensive than "home" meals.

It appears to be an employment at will (they can keep you or let you go without explanation) and I don't know that I'd make any demands in this economy. However, I do think I would talk to HR (or your boss) without using the word "entitled" and see if you can work out a new arrangement which would pay for some of your food cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I legally entitled to a copy of my work performance review? [ 2 Answers ]

I've never, every had a problem receiving a copy of my work performance review when asked for a copy. I currently work in a hospital urgent care setting and just had my performance review which was very good. When I asked the manager for a copy for my filed she said that the manager at her other...

Can I receive per diem if I am a resident of Alaska and work in SC where I own a home [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Alaska resident and I winter in SC where I own a home. I have been offered 6 months of contract work. I live in Alaska a miniumum of 7 months out of the year. Can I receive per diem in SC? My IRS return shows my residence as Alaska.

Can a company change the rules of per diem while on a job out of town? [ 3 Answers ]

My company has not taxed my per diem for the last 10 months. I was just told that after one year on this jobsite, which is out of town, I will be taxed on my per diem. Can that happen?

View more questions Search