Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winstonwu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
    My Psychiatrist refuses to change my med, no matter How I explain the way it feels
    I live in Dover Delaware and there are very few docs or therapists who accept Medicaid/Medicare.
    Recently, I've seen the PSychiatrist in Dover. I have been on seroquel since 2003 but she wants me to keep taking it, in fact she raised the dosages. I told her this medication make me hyper, angry and manic and my heart would race uncontrollablly ever since I've been on the medication, so to combat the drug, I am give Klonipin and Propranolol. She doesn't take into account on how I feel ans says"I'm the doctor, I know what you need." After being assertive about my rights as a patient and a person, she now wants to inject me with invega, which I have been on before and it was hell.
    (I used to be on 100mg s of Haldol for tourette's from another doctor,but this made me dry heave and become nauseous all the time)
    So the she switched me to 0.2 mgs of clonidine.Doesn't help. But nausea is gone.
    Other friends of mine who have been on Seroquel had similar angry reactions with is meds, from experience Delaware doesn't accept dispensing Clozoril.

For some reason she refuses to listen to me. On the internet I found she is just a nurse practitioner not a Dr. Like she says. I'm a little concerned that she is overriding my rights. Can she do that and should I bring up the patients Bill of rights again?
    jeje409 Posts: 84, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2011, 11:43 AM
    I live in Maryland and there are some good doctors here.Try www.webmd.com for doctors here in Maryland.Salisbury would be good location for you to travel to... try looking for Delmarva Family Resources... 2013 Northwood Dr
    Salisbury, MD 21801-7882
    (410) 334-6687
    I take my step son there for his ADHD but in another town.Your doctor SHOULD listen to you,after all you are the patient.I cannot believe she would not listen to you.Is there another nurse or doctor in room when she sees you?Any way you can switch doctors for the time being?Maybe go to a clinic? Refresh her memory about the patients bill of rights.Also you can file a complaint against her at the Board of Nursing http://dpr.delaware.gov/boards/inves...omplaint.shtml Good Luck and keep putting your foot down to her... please check out Delmarva Family Resources,they have a variety of different services and Psychologists and Psychiatrist.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonwu View Post
    On the internet I found she is just a nurse practioner not a Dr. Like she says.
    If that is true, she has no legal right to write a prescription. Only medical doctors can do that (and a psychiatrist is an M.D.).

Does your county have a health department? If so, ask them for help in finding a second opinion. How about contacting Catholic Charities or Lutheran Social Services (Google Diakon Delaware) to get help from a social worker?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonwu View Post
    I live in Dover Delaware and there are very few docs or therapists who accept Medicaid/Medicare. .... I'm a little concerned that she is overriding my rights. Can she do that and should I bring up the patients Bill of rights again?
    It sounds as though your doctor or practitioner has one treatment orientation while your expectations are quite different. I am all for the collaborative care model, wherein the patient is actively involved in the treatment plan. In fact, I believe that is essential with any condition where psychoactive drugs are used. But not all doctors believe in that approach and it is, in my opinion, counterproductive to involve in a power struggle with your therapist.

Find another doctor that is oriented to patient involvement... that listens to your concerns and addresses them. It is very important that you have confidence in and rapport with your doctor and it seems that is absent in this relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband refuses to move out of my house during the divorce, change locks? [ 5 Answers ]

Im trying to divorce my husband, He refuses to move, I am the sole titleholder of my house, purchased 6 years before the marriage. Ive provided documents and affadavits re: my assets, which is mainly my house. He is alleging that I have other assets I haven't disclosed (not true) because he is...

Interveiw psychiatrist [ 1 Answers ]

I want to interveiw a psychiatrist

Should I see a psychiatrist [ 11 Answers ]

I am not very familiar with psychological disorders, and I feel like I am a normal person, but I also feel like I know a lot of people who go to psychiatrists that seem to be normal as well. I am now 25 years old, 3 years out of school and I am living my dream job and being very successful at it....

Med Red Hair to Med Golden Brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the best way to get Med. Golden Brown hair if my hair is Red without the color coming out color coming out orange? Would it be necessary to strip the red out first? Thank you

View more questions Search