Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alishamarie24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 06:25 AM
    How do I stop my dogs from peeing in my house
    I have 2 Miniature Yorkshire Terriers a ***** and a dog they are doth between 1 and 2 years old. My dog constantly pees on my washing machine in my kitchen and in his bed. It don't matter how many times I let him out he will always pee there especially in the night. I make sure I take his food and water up about a hour before I got 2 bed to make sure he has plenty of time to do his business outside before I go to bed but it don't work.I have to wash his bed every day because it smells and makes him smell. What can I do to stop him doing this?
    jeje409 Posts: 84, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2011, 06:44 AM
    I've had this problem before... try to wash whatever dogs pee on really really good... the slightest little tiny smell will make them pee in same spot over and over.I know WalMart have this stuff that will get rid of the canine urine smell.Does your dogs have nummy bones or toys to chew on? I try to keep my dog occupied all the time lol if not he will sneak out of room and pee on something lol.

Also... do the dogs do this while you are at home or away?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:35 AM
    Get a gated pen and keep them in it with a training pee mat, and crate them at night. Don't give them the run of the house until they learn. Take them out at set times and praise them effusively when they go, with an occasional treat. Do not take water away; that's not the problem anyway.
    You can use any smelly stuff on their favorite spots to go. I have used my dad's worst cheap after shave and it worked. My small dog doesn't want to go out in severe cold so I have this problem once in a while.
    jeje409 Posts: 84, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    This is awesome advice... I'm going to have to try it myself.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:47 AM

While Joy offers some great advice, covering up the urine spots with smelly stuff just masks the odor, if your dog still smells the urine, it will go back there to re-mark. You need to use an enzyme cleaner, you can find them at pretty much any department store. Also vinegar works very well. If they use the bathroom on the carpet, you can try using shaving cream, let it sit until it turns yellow, and then clean up the shaving cream.

In the mean time I would purchase a crate, when ever you go out put your dog in the crate. I would use Joy's advice with the baby gate for at nights. Make sure to take him out side after every bite of food and every drink of water. Even one morsel of kibble can put pressure on their bowels. When they use thebathroom out side you praise like crazy. I would even offer a small treat to start with. If the dogs play together make sure to put them out side as soon as they are done playing. Exercise creates the urge for them to use the bathroom. Also if you take them for longer walks they will have more chances to use the bathroom out side opposed to in your house.

Are both dogs altered? Un-altered dogs usually continue to mark until they are fixed, and even then it's usually trial and error to find out what works for them. Don't bother with puppy pads as they only lead to more confusion.

Where did you get your dogs from?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 16, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    I forgot the part about cleaning the spots first; just assumed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

Two Male and Jealous Dogs Peeing on side of house etc [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever "Male" and 5 year old Chocolate Lab "Male" who seem to be competing with each other on who can pee on the most places in my backyard. They have killed all my Roses, Pee in their own food dishes, side of house (paint is peeling off) and pretty much everything...

How can I stop my dogs peeing when I'm at work? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 dosg - 1yr old lab & 11mth old cocker spaniel. They sleep upstairs with me and can hold their pee/poo all night - 8 or more hrs. I'm out at work for up to 5hrs in the day and they are shut into the kitchen. They are street walked before work and taken to the field after work. They pee/poo...

How do I keep my two dogs from peeing in the house [ 2 Answers ]

How do I keep my dog from peeing in the house

Dogs won't stop peeing in house and behavior changes [ 2 Answers ]

We own two dogs. One is named Bear, she is a 9 month old flat coat retriever. We adopted her from a fellow college student back in December. The other dog we named Foxie and she is a two year old retirever mix we adopted from the humane society about a month ago. We made sure the two dogs got...

View more questions Search