Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cvanclief Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
    virginia eviction laws... from the tenant's side
    I see a lot on here regarding what landlords are supposed to do during the eviction process, but what are the tenant's rights? How long do we have after rent due date until the eviction process can be started? If we pay the rent in full, even after that date, does that negate the eviction?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
    If the only reason for the eviction is non payment, then bringing your rent up to date will stay the eviction up to the date the sheriff shows up and even then you may be able to pay the sheriff and stay. The landlord can start the process as soon as rent is considered late according to your lease terms.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 05:52 PM
    The tenant can remain in the home as long as they pay the rent and any late and eviction fees by the time it goes to court.

But since late fees add up, court fees add up, normally people who already have trouble paying seldom can.

But next there are other reasons to evict, on my month to month rentals, I don't even have to have a reason, I had one house I wanted to get empty so my son could move in there, so I give them a 30 day notice to move. They have no rights or choices except to move since on a month to month rental I have the right to ask them to leave with a 30 day notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction laws in virginia [ 4 Answers ]

My house has been foreclosed on. The person who purchased it says we have to be out tomorrow and will not extend the deadline. We have no money to go anywhere until the end of this week. She says she will begin the eviction process tomorrow morning. What are my rights, if any and what is the...

Housemate eviction in Virginia [ 5 Answers ]

I am a homeowner in Virginia. More than two years ago I allowed my business partner to move into my house without a rental agreement. She brought furniture and many other personal items. During the past year I have asked her to leave several times, but without success. She dismisses my...

Virginia Foreclosure and Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a home last week at auction. I close tomorrow, if everything goes right (otherwise, I close Tuesday). The previous owner is still living in the house. How do I have her removed? Thanks!

Virginia eviction process [ 8 Answers ]

Hi--I have been impressed with the quality of responses here, but I haven't seen something that describes my situation. I am a landlord in Virginia. I have a tenant (couple) with 9 months to go on a lease governed by VRLTA (payable on the 1st), but they have been paying rent late. With no rent...

Virginia Notice to Pay or Quit/Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a notice to pay or quit last night. Can the landlord evict me on the 5th day or does he have to get a court ordered eviction notice? I reside in Norfolk, VA.

View more questions Search