Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissaficco1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 09:22 PM
    Does a garnishment on my wages affect my income taxes?
    If my wages were just garnished due to an unpaid student loan. Does this mean the company can take my money from income taxes as well? Even if it not the governments money but the school?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
    If you are asking if the loan owner can garnish your tax refund, the answer is YES, they cand, and YES, they will, at leats for the federal refund. They may get the state refund as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Garnishment from credit card debt freeze bank account or income taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I Have a garnishment from a credit card but no courts were involved is that company able to freeze my bank account or take my income tax. The debt was sold to a collection agency

Garnishment of Wages? [ 12 Answers ]

It's the case of the garnishment of wages -requested of an employer who's not really an employer. The debtor is actually a subcontractor of the "employer". In other words, there is no employer/employee relationship w/the employer that was served the writ of garnishment. The debtor is a sole...

Student loan wage garnishment and income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a wage garnishment through my employer for my student loan. I wanted to know if my income taxes are going to be taken too. I am a single parent and need the money. I never received a letter stating that my income takes would be taken but is the student loan company obligated to send...

Do I pay taxes on low-income nanny wages? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm considering taking a job as a nanny and the family wants me to claim the income so that they can write it off. They only want to pay $225/week. Is it really worth it if I have to pay taxes? What would I really be making a week?

View more questions Search