Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchoo Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
    Adding exhaust fan
    I want to add a exhaust fan with a switch to control it in my basement washroom. Currently I've got a light, switch & outlet on this breaker all working properly. Nothing else tied in. How do I tie this fan & switch into what I've got set up?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 06:18 AM

Let us know where power from breaker panel is coming into bathroom and we can help u.

Tell us how many wires are in light box, switch box and outlet box and how they are configured.

With this info can help

Chuck

Jan 1, 2011, 09:18 AM

I've got power coming into the light box, then pwr to the light switch, then to outlet. Therefore I've got two wires in each.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Would you consider replacing the current light with a fan/light combination? This would solve your wiring issue and when the light is on, the fan could be on with it.

Jan 1, 2011, 09:56 AM

No, but here's a question for you. If I go with a fan/light combination, can only the light go on?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Yes, most definetely. There is provision inside the wiring compartment on the light to switch one or both. You just need another switch and wire to make them work independently.

Jan 1, 2011, 10:02 AM

Oh, okay. I'll check it out. On my original question, what do you suggest?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
    In order to add a second switch where the existing one is you will need an additional wire. From what you describe you have power to the light, then a switch leg. Any chance this is in conduit, or is it cable? You already have the neutral to the light if the power comes in there. So the hot wire, which comes into the switch now will be utilized to power both the fan and light; you will use that wire to power both switches, then add a wire for the second switch to contol the other load (fan or light). Got it?

Jan 1, 2011, 10:12 AM

Sorry, I'm lost. Anyway I can incl a sketch here to show you what I've got

Jan 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
    See attached sketch
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Existing wiring.pdf (381.1 KB, 140 views)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 1, 2011, 12:16 PM

Your circuit design is seriously flawed.

First and foremost, a switch does not use the "White" neutral conductor unless it has a pilot light

A better way to create this circuit is to tie Blk to Blk at the power outlet. Wht. To Wht.

Feed the receptacle from the power source.

From the receptacle, pigtail a black to black and a white to white cable to the switch.

Connect the black feed from the receptacle to the bottom of the switch. Bypass the white (neutral around the switch.

Now connect the other end of the black conductor to the top of the switch.

Continue the run to the light. Black to Black and White to White.

Do not forget to connect the grounding conductor through the entire circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exhaust fan [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning guys, Ok, so I am installing gfci outlets in my bathroom and was wondering can I connect My kitchen gfci outlets to the bathroom outlets? Or must they be on separate circuits? Also want to install bathroom exhaust fan with light. Can anyone recommend A very quiet fan?

Adding a shower light off existing exhaust fan [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add a shower light, tapping off the existing exhaust fan in the room which is currently operated by a light switch. The goal is to have the fan and the light come on at the same time by switch, but be in 2 different locations. The light will be over the shower, the fan unit is on...

Selection of Exhaust fan [ 1 Answers ]

I want to select an exhaust fan from COOK or Green Heck catalog. When I look the technical data of any specific model, I don't find CFM that it shall be working for.Available data comprises of RPM, static pressure, Dimensions, belt or direct driven, HP etc.Can someone share how selection can be...

Bathroom exhaust fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just replaced the bathroom exhaust fan motor assembly which is the fan motor, squirrel cage, and mounting plate. I did this because the fan is about 25 years old. The bathroom is only 36 square feet with 8 foot ceiling and the new fan motor is rated at 100 cfm. The thing is that the fan does not...

View more questions Search