Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glo_gem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 12:54 PM
    What is follicles on the ovaries mean?
    After an vaginal ultrasound. I was told I have folliccales on my ovary. Is this of concern?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 04:21 PM

Not usually a concern at all. In basic terms, the follicles surround an egg and help with preparing the eggs to be released. Prior to ovulation, follicles help in the process of an egg becoming mature. At ovulation, a follicle will rupture to release a mature egg in hopes of becoming fertilized, after which it helps in the early stages of supporting a pregnancy. So it is perfectly normal, and desirable to have follicles on an ovary.

However, sometimes a follicle does not rupture to release an egg and it may become known as an ovarian cyst. This too usually is not a concern and is pretty common, but sometimes can cause discomfort and may need to be treated depending on the cause and type of cyst.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does multiple follicles on ovary mean? [ 10 Answers ]

Ok so I am in School for medical sonography. Since in school ( Nov. 2009) I have been watching my ovaries every cycle. I do this because I had Surgery to remove 2 Chocolate cysts from my ovaries in September 2009. So far everything is going fine and normal with my ovulation and all reproductive...

Subcentimeter follicles [ 2 Answers ]

I have regular period while I was suffering from urinary infection I hv done my ultrasound scan.It pointed out utres is normal measures 7.4x3.4x4.1cms,right overy measurement 3.4 x 2.2,left onery 3.6 x 2.2 cms.Both overis show multiple sub centimeteric follicles.No obvious adnexal lesions...

Hair Follicles Discoloration [ 0 Answers ]

Okay I hope I am using the right terms but I have a problem with my hair follicles just where the hair grows out of the skin, it is darker than the skin that surrounds it. It just around my legs and I want to shave my legs more often (or wax) but I find it annoying to have these tiny spots all...

Dark hair follicles? [ 1 Answers ]

My legs are dotted with little spots where the hair follicles are. I shave my legs, so I am guessing that the little spots is the hair below the skin surface in the follicle. Does waxing or epilating help at all? I am sort of under the assumption that if I remove the hair completely, I won't have...

View more questions Search