Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Mac osx + a spinning beach ball image at the top of each page! Advice appreciated?
    I have a Mac Mini - Mac OSX 10.4.11. (since approximately 2005) It is running very very slow, not as it used to. I feel frustrated as it takes so long to go from one place to another when surfing, or when I use WORD to write on the page and then if I need to then i.e. copy and paste etc... everything takes so long... plus... I have great disappointment as there seems to be a colourful beach ball spinning for lengthy times (i.e. 30-60 sec.average), at the top of the pages. It appears when I am going from one site to another, or when I am on hotmail and wish to i.e. search another email while I am writing a letter, or when I copy and paste, etc. etc. etc... basically it seems to be happening all the time, and not just when I do one particular thing.
    I do have a lot of saved bookmarks which I keep on pages in folders on my desktop... could this be why?
    Another family member uses the computer but signs in separately and his side is fine, is quick and does not have the spinning beach ball. I would be very grateful to receive any explanations, but easily explained please, (as if to a child!) as I have taught myself to use the computer, and know very basics, i.e.. Surfing, copy and paste. Thank you for your comments, advice etc.
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Mac osx 10.4.11 - do they need to be 'cleaned up'?
    I have a MAC Mini - MAC OSX 10.4.11, since 2005. I love it because when I had a regular computer there were so many viruses, trojans, worms etc. etc. and it caused great anxiety. My little Mac Mini has been so great and without any "diseases". But >> am I ignorant/naive? The only "maintaining" that I have been doing is >removing the cookies. Is there anything else I should have been doing all of these years? Can I take care of it myself? I would be very grateful to receive any information, instructions, advice etc. (but>> I do not understand computer lingo... only very "basics") Thank you!
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jan 10, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Your computer is 6 years old, it's self not that bad of a thing, however if you are running the same Operating system install that you started with there may be problems. Mac like any other operating system becomes fragmented as time passes This fragmentation is much slower than that on Windows. If you have not already make backups of your data, Then reload your operating system, and run your updates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac osx 10.3 [ 3 Answers ]

My mac osx 10.3 panther is now shutting off when I am online-- This is new & I don't have a clue as to why.

How to send mp3 files on mac osx 10.5 [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to send an mp3 file I've converted from a wav file to a friend?

MAC OSX and HP Laserjet 3055 printing problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am using a iMac 1.83 Ghz Intel Dual Core Duo with OS X. The printer is HP Laserjet 3055. The printer was installed using MAC installation disc suppplied with the printer. Test page prints fine, however when printing from word or Xls, the printer briefly shows printing on the screen but does...

Lexmark x1290 printer driver for Mac/OSx [ 1 Answers ]

I am unable to install my Lexmark x1290 on my IMac G5. I cannot find a suitable printer driver for the OSx operating system even after searching the Lexmark website. How might I find, download and install a suitable driver? Thanks!

Installing mac osx version 10.4 tiger and having problems [ 4 Answers ]

Need help can't seem to install this on my apple laptop:

View more questions Search