Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RadioActive697 Posts: 295, Reputation: 13

Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
    Am I Really A Square?
    Ok well a lot of people call me a square or a lame for some apparent reason I guess. Well I'm an African American girl who has a lot of Caucasian friends and I also have other race friends as well from almost all over the Earth but most are Caucasian. Ok some people say that I try to act white or that I think I'm white. And I don't try to act white or I don't even think I'm white. And I tell them that I can't act a color or that that's my personality. But I must admit that I listen to a lot of Caucasian music and I talk very proper and have a lot of Caucasian friends. But I can't help that I just naturally become friends with them and actually one of my closest friends is actually Caucasian. And another thing is that they think just because I say Caucasian instead of white makes me a square or lame. And I just want to scream when they call me that. I'm like you have got to be kidding me! And I can't help that that's how I act and then they say I act uppity. But I never try to act like that never! My friends never think I'm all of those things. But do I come off as a square or a lame or do you think I'm one? And I'm sorry that its long! But could you guys help me please! Please! Thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 01:40 AM

You're not square or lame. You're wonderful because you're color blind. You don't care what color your friends are. I wish more people were like you.

Don't let them get you down. You hold your head up high and be proud of who and what you are. Pity them because they can't be more like you.

I'm proud of you sweetie. I hope that my kids have the same blindness when it comes to color. That's how I'm raising them, but so many people out there try to put their own twisted beliefs on others. I just hope that they don't listen, that they follow their hearts and know that it's not the color of your skin that matters, but your heart and soul that counts.

Sadly my husbands side of the family is very racist. In fact, before Christmas we had a get together at my husbands cousins house. My daughter brought one of her cabbage patch kids. She had 3 then (5 now, she got 2 for Christmas), the 3 she had are all black dolls. That's what she wanted. Actually, 2 of the dolls were mine from when I was a kid (yes, they had cabbage patch kids back in the dark ages ;)). The other one she picked out.

Honestly, the reaction from that doll, even if someone had told me, I wouldn't have believed. I was raised to respect every person out there for who they are. We're all the same race, the human race. I love my husbands family, but their racism has been something we've discussed many times in the 20 years we've been together. Thankfully he somehow got out of it without a racist bone in his body. I don't know how considering what he was raised with.

You would have thought that my daughter brought a rabid raccoon into their home, and not a doll. The jokes they made, the things they said, I cannot repeat. All in front of my daughter. Of course I didn't put up with it, and thankfully my daughter is a little me. She's not one to go with the crowd, she makes up her own mind. She defended her doll, a little 8 year old scolding adults for being so narrow minded and hateful. :)

So you do the same. You follow your way, and be proud of the fact that no one can make you someone you're not.

I'm proud of you.

Dec 29, 2010, 01:58 AM
    Thank you so much and you are so nice. You made me feel so much better about who I am. And I'm happy that you are not racist and that your family isn't either. Its nice to know that there are nice people out there in the world! And I do defend myself every time.:) Thanks again. And sorry for the format I didn't feel like doing all that upper casing and lower casing lol :)thanks
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 09:44 AM

When you are comfortable with who you are, what others think will no longer matter.
    Just be YOU. Be true to yourself.

Dec 29, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    When you are comfortable with who you are what others think will no longer matter.
    Just be YOU. Be true to yourself.
    Thank you and I will be true to myself and thanks again!:)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 02:13 PM

When you get up in the morning and look in the mirror with your eyes squinting from the bright lights. Who do you see?

That's really all you have to worry about. Being you. If others refuse to accept you then that is their choice. You are who you are. Many are most likely jealous because they don't have the same confidence as you do. While you walk your path in life you will see this all the time. Don't start by letting it bug you. Remember who is in the mirror in the morning.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 02:28 PM

No, I don't think you are lame or a square.

I see a intelligent and confident young lady here.

There is no shame in acting proper. None what so ever. You're what parents dream of having in their children.

I'm not going to say that your friends are jealous, that I don't know. I do know that everyone has a different upbringing. Perhaps they are not used to it. Its not a wrong thing, its not a right thing, it's a nothing. I would just continue to be YOURSELF.

I've read some of your other posts, and you strike me as a vivacious sweet young girl.

If only more people were like you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 05:51 PM

Reminds me of the BS my wife and I got when our child was born, are we gong to raise him white or black,

What white people have to learn things black people don't know, and all listen to country music

And what black people have to listen to rock, wear their pants to the floor and eat soul food.

It is pure BS, and if you have friends or people that don't like you hanging with people of other races, they have a problem, you don't.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:57 PM

Years ago, I left a rural, all-white area for college in the Chicago area, a multicultural paradise. One of my dormmates was an American Indian girl from a reservation in Arizona, several were black or Asian, and one freshman guy was Jamaican with the most wonderful, musical voice! I found out very quickly that everyone's blood runs red. Then, for 25 years, I worked in a Chicago area public library where a Chinese grandpa would hold the door open for a black mom with little kids and a Korean teen would scrape the snow and ice off a white woman's car. Yes, there could be problems between races, but for the most part, people get along really well.

I'm glad you are that way too, and will help the world's citizens get along even better.

Dec 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Years ago, I left a rural, all-white area for college in the Chicago area, a multicultural paradise. One of my dormmates was an American Indian girl from a reservation in Arizona, several were black or Asian, and one freshman guy was Jamaican with the most wonderful, musical voice! I found out very quickly that everyone's blood runs red. Then, for 25 years, I worked in a Chicago area public library where a Chinese grandpa would hold the door open for a black mom with little kids and a Korean teen would scrape the snow and ice off a white woman's car. Yes, there could be problems between races, but for the most part, people get along really well.

I'm glad you are that way too, and will help the world's citizens get along even better.
    Wow thanks a lot! That's really nice of you! Thanks!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the area of this square? Only give you the number 5 in and it is a square [ 2 Answers ]

I have a math problem what is the area of this square. There is a square and the only number given is 5 inches

How much is 23 square feet at 45 for sheet rocking cents per square feet [ 1 Answers ]

What would I pay for a 24 x 11 square foot room at 45 cents per square foot

Integration of square root of tanx minus square root of cotx [ 1 Answers ]

integration of square root of tan x minus square root of cot x

Not square [ 11 Answers ]

HI I have an issue my new bathroom done by a contractor is has a large shoer . I want to put a glass wall with a door form top to bottom however it is not square . It is compltely tiled and finished. What is the best way to deal with this issue. Help!

View more questions Search