Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oswego Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
    My sister and I have had POA for our 101 year old Mother for 17 years.
    She was very tight and frugal. We have always cared for her and never expected anything in
    Return. Recently she has gone into a nursing home. We cashed in her CD's and split up
    $90,000 and put it in CD's in each of our names. We have been paying her nursing home
    Bill out of her checking account. It will soon run out. If we apply to the State for
    Assistance the application asks about change of ownership of money, cd's, property, etc.
    In the last 5 years and for what reason it was given away or transferred. We do not want
    Any legal problems but feel we should be compensated for the past 17 years of unpaid care
    We have given our Mother. Should we submit a bill for the past 17 years? Please advise.

this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    She was very tight and frugal. We have always cared for her and never expected anything in
    return. Recently she has gone into a nursing home. We cashed in her CD's and split up
    $90,000 and put it in CD's in each of our names. We have been paying her nursing home
    bill out of her checking account. It will soon run out. If we apply to the State for
    assistance the application asks about change of ownership of money, cd's, property, etc.
    in the last 5 years and for what reason it was given away or transferred. We do not want
    any legal problems but feel we should be compensated for the past 17 years of unpaid care
    we have given our Mother. Should we submit a bill for the past 17 years? Please advise.
    Let me get this straight - you took $90,000 of your mother's money and now want to apply for state aid to pay her nursing home bills? So you pocketed $45,000 and want the taxpayers to fund your mother's bill? Is this a joke?

I don't see you providing 17 years of unpaid care. In fact, I see you receiving $5,294.12 per year for your "care" of your mother.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Dec 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
    return.
    Recently she has gone into a nursing home. We cashed in her CD's and split up
    bill out of her checking account. It will soon run out. If we apply to the State for
    assistance the application asks about change of ownership of money, cd's, property, etc.
    in the last 5 years and for what reason it was given away or transferred. We do not want
    any legal problems but feel we should be compensated for the past 17 years of unpaid care
    we have given our Mother.
    Should we submit a bill for the past 17 years? Please advise.
    Please clarify these points. It will answer many questions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 02:31 PM

No, you will have to keep paying till all of her CD money is spent, if you had moved her money 5 to 7 years prior to putting her in a nursing home, but the nursinghome has a right to the money from the CD,

It was not legal for you to take the money from the CD to try and hide it from the nursing home, If that is not repaid, the people who did this can be in seroius legal trouble.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 09:10 AM

oswego does not find this helpful : does not know all the facts.
    Listen here, cupcake. YOU STOLE YOUR MOTHER'S MONEY. As Fr_Chuck already pointed out, what you've done is ILLEGAL.

And try reading the site rules while you're at it:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html
    Although doing things the right way doesn't seem to be something you do too often.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 09:53 AM

I'd had POA for my uncle for quite a few years. Once he had used up all his own money, I applied to p.a. for his nursing home care. When I met with the p.a. employee, I had to bring in a shopping bag's worth of his financial records to prove I (or anyone else) had not stolen/moved any money from his accounts during the previous three years (IL timeframe). The p.a. guy went over the records with a fine-tooth comb and built his own file with photocopies. I was so glad my uncle and I had kept excruciatingly careful records!

I have no doubt you will have to use the CD money to pay your mom's nursing home. P.a. will not kick in until you do. The state will not see it any other way.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 10:19 AM

One more thing. They disagree because we don't "have all the facts" - we have what they gave us.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 01:16 PM
    return. Recently she has gone into a nursing home. We cashed in her CD's and split up
    we have given our Mother. Should we submit a bill for the past 17 years? Please advise.
    What about the unpaid care your mother incurred raising you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sister is killing my mother [ 2 Answers ]

My sister is an alcohol abuser but more than that she is insane. She stabbed herself 4 times in the arm last night to "Get Mom's attention"! She is verbally abusive (to put it mildly) She refuses to give Mom the phone when she gets a call. My Mother is scared that she will follow through with her...

My sister and I signed a lease 1/1/08 for 1 year. At the end of the year we were bot [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I signed a 1 year lease 1/1/08. At the end of the year we were both to move out. My sister's plans fell through and she went back to the landlord and they agreed to a month to month lease. I was in no way involved in this. She has been there since but has not paid the rent for...

I am looking for my biological mother and sister [ 6 Answers ]

How can I find my biological mother and sister I know there names and my sisters date of birth but all th websites I have been on haven't helped me I have been searching for 2 years now I really need some good advice!

Deploying to iraq giving my sister my physical custody of my son through a poa [ 2 Answers ]

I am and the Mississippi national guard and I have physical custody of my son. My ex has had a child from another relationship which was takan from her by DHS. She has joint legal custody of my child. The reason the child was taken from her was that they found traces of crystal meth and both her...

View more questions Search