Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cammer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Leasing Question
    If I rent to someone with a one year lease, is their lease over in one year and can I take possession? How much notice do I have to give them? This rental is in California. And if I have to give them notice, do I notify them 60 days before the lease is expired, or how many days. Thanks.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
    In California if they've lived there for one year or more then you have to give them 60 days written notice that their tenancy is terminated. If you want to take possession as soon as the lease ends then you have to give them the notice 60 days before it ends.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 01:18 PM

I understand what Lisa is saying but always thought that , in your case, the tenant has not been there for a year, yet, so a 30 day notice would be correct. If they were in the second years lease the ante goes to 60 days. Maybe I have had this wrong in my head for 62 years.
    tazimorandi Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2011, 11:24 PM
    In Colorado, a year lease is effective for a period which is usually one year. After the year expires, depending upon how the lease is drawn up, or lack of clarity, the lease turns into a month to month tenancy, meaning it goes on until one of the parties gives notice. In Colorado, if you are still in the yearly lease terms, you must give written notice to the tenant at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the lease. A month to month tenancy, only requires 10 days notice, and a tenancy at sufferance (which is lease that is no longer valid is 3 days). Check with the Real Estate Commission in California to see exactly the time amount you need to give to your tenants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing tenant wants to evict non leasing tenant [ 8 Answers ]

We're both college students, we aren't friends we were co-workers and I live in Alabama. Im confused because Ive read in several places that Im only required to give her a 30 day notice to get her to leave since I am the only person on my lease and we only had an oral agreement which at this...

Leasing and Recording [ 1 Answers ]

just not getting this question! I have tried to understand it, not sure if it's the wording, but no matter how much I read it over I can't quite grasp it. Dec. 31, 2005, Comp A leased equipment from Comp B Equipment Rental. Pertinent lease transaction data follows: - the estimated 7yr useful...

Commercial leasing [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate and apply common area charges for a commercial property?

Leasing contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In our house leasing contract, my name is not listed as one of the occupants. The lease is in my Wife's name. Do I need to add my name or am I included in the contract because I am the spouse? We live in a rented house in Ventura county CA. Thanks

View more questions Search