Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 26, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Hang a ceiling fan... high!
    My daughter's new home will soon be finished. When it's done I need to hang a ceiling fan in the family room for her. The builder installed the electrical box and pre-wired it. The ceiling is 18' high. Does anyone have any innovated ideas to get me up there to hang it? I really don't want to buy a tall (expensive) stepladder just to use once or go out and rent scaffolding. It will take a whole lot more time and effort to get, erect and return the scaffolding than it will to actually hang the fan. Geeze! Anybody have any experience?
    chefpierce Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Unfortunately, those two things are the safest ways to do that.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2010, 08:31 PM
    You may want to try an A frame extension ladder. They are 10 ft or so with a 10-12 ft. center extension. Easier to use than an A frame to get the same height. Did the builder use 2 switches?

Dec 27, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Went on line and found Werner makes a 17' extension ladder costing $169 at Lowe's. Maybe I'll just break-down and buy one... I'll also look into a rental.

Dec 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    A-frame extension ladder sounds scary! Only time I ever climbed a vertical ladder was on the side of a ship... and I was scared! Hanging on with both hands would only leave my teeth and eyelids to use to actually hang the fan!
    G_Borders Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Like ChefPierce said, there are only a few options available, the ladder, scaffolding, or an aerial lift. None are cheap.

Adding a ceiling fan to an 18' ceiling means that you will need to be right up to the ceiling to reach the box and make the connections. I wouldn't use anything that would not allow for secure footing at or around 14' as a minimum.

You will also need to be certain that the mounting box is rated to support eh weight and movement of a fan and not just a light fixture.

18' is pretty high and can be a little nerve wracking. We use an adjustable A-frame ladder that will adjust from about 12' tall to 21' tall allowing for about a 24' reach.

Always consider safety first when working on a project like this. Be sure the equipment is of high quality and in good condition.
    SkyRoller Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Mar 18, 2011, 11:59 PM

If the fan has lights, then you'll need that ladder to change the bulbs in the future. I've also seen a pulley system used to lower the fixture down so it can be serviced. I was all set to set up a ladder to change out bulbs on a very high fixture, when I noticed a small strange door on one of the walls in the room. I opened the door and there was a rope inside wound up in a dog mechanism. I undid the rope and walla , the fixture came down to a comfortable height for servicing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan works on high speed only [ 2 Answers ]

I own a Hunter ceiling fan that's about 10 years old. It's a 4 wire, 3 speed fan with a light kit which works fine. The light and fan speed are controlled by pull chains. Recently, the fan speed only runs at high speed. When I pull the chain to change speeds it still runs on high. The next chain...

Hunter Ceiling Fan:Power on High but it barely turns,oil OK,pull chain on high,HELP [ 2 Answers ]

Hunter Ceiling Fan: variable power switch on wall on High, pull chain on High but the fan barely turns. Oil OK. Have to give blades a push to get them to turn but once turning, they move at the slowest speed possible. Any ideas for what to do?

Old ceiling fan won't go to high setting [ 3 Answers ]

I love the ceiling fan in my bedroom, and although it's quite a few years old it has always worked great. The other day, however, I noticed that the high speed setting wasn't moving as fast. I turned it on and off a few times, then tried the chain to see how the other settings worked. As it is,...

Ceiling fan doesn't hang plumb [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Hampton Bay 52" Oakley ceiling fan with a 12" downrod on a 4/12 pitch ceiling.With the hanger bracket installed, I put the fan motor and downrod assembly in the ceiling bracket and wired it. When I slid the ceiling canopy up in place, there was a little interference with the downrod,...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

View more questions Search