Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    divotdame Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Foul odor coming from overhead heating vent
    We had our heat and air ducts moved to overhead because the ones in the floor were rusted out. This was about six years ago. Starting about 18 months to 2 years ago we have noticed a bad odor (smells to us like dead animal only not that strong) coming from only one overhead vent. This happens intermittently. It may happen twice in one month or may not happen for 3 months. I don't think it is a dead animal because it only lasts for about 2 hours and then it is gone. The vent is close to our gas hot water tank (there is a floor drain also located there). We have poured water into the drain weekly but that has not stopped the problem.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
    It could be a desiccated dead animal that smells now only when wet. Does this happen after a rain?
    I'm getting rid of our air vents entirely because of this. Our house has dead mice in ceilings, walls, floor, appliances, under cabinets, you name it.
    Dennis1523 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Have the ducts and coil cleaned. If the floor drain smells like the air it may be sewer gases. Call a plumber or poor bleach in there.
    divotdame Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Comment on Dennis1523's post
    No smell in drain. Plumbers have checked house for leaks. One found at other end of house and pipe was fixed. Smell returned two days ago for about 1-2 hours then was gone. Returned last night for 1/2 hour and was gone again. WE NEED HELP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a really bad odor coming from a drain in my basemen and the smell is coming through the heater vents smelling up the whole house I tried everything from draining liquids to air freshners to covering the drain with a shirt I no its coming from their because I can clearly smell it directly...

Removed unility sink. Now a foul odor coming from the cabinet below. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband removed the utility sink in our utility go give us more counter space. Now about a month later there is a very foul odor coming from the cabinet below where the sink used to be. Can you tell me how to get rid of the stink? It seems like it is coming from the wall. tlgoetz

Foul odor from vent [ 2 Answers ]

Out of no where, a very foul odor has been coming from just one cool air return vents when the heat is on or off. It seems to be spreading throughout the house. What is it and who do we call for service?

Odor in Heating Vent [ 2 Answers ]

My little boy is potty training and decided to urinate in the heating vent in his bedroom. I have washed it out with disinfectant and put baking soda in there to get rid of the smell, but it seems to be getting worse. Any ideas?

Foul odor coming from heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house and when we put on the heat for the first time in September, there is a foul odor coming from all of the heat vents in the house. I can't really pinpoint what the odor is, but it seems to be a sewer/rotten egg smell and you can smell it in every room of the house, but it does...

View more questions Search