Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pitabo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 09:43 AM
    How long do we have to sell an inherited property before being hit with estate taxes?
    Mother passed in June, 2010. House to be sold and split 4 ways.

1. There is no inheritance tax for the 4 siblings?
    2. If house is not sold this year, will the estate have to pay estate tax on the sale amount of the house next year?
    tazimorandi Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2011, 10:32 PM
    I believe there is no inheritance tax on estates less than 2 million dollars. This may have been reappealed this last year when Obama came into office. All property is transferred according to the will without any tax consequences. Best to check with a tax advisor to be sure.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 05:44 AM

We need to know where this is... every state has their own laws and taxes as well, Beyond what the Federal Government may or may not have so nobody can assume anything is a valid answer anywhere in the usa.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tazimorandi View Post
    I believe there is no inheritance tax on estates less than 2 million dollars. This may have been reappealed this last year when Obama came into office. All property is transfered according to the will without any tax consequences. Best to check with a tax advisor to be sure.

It's by State Law (as Smoothy said) - what State?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2011, 12:14 PM

The heirs do not get taxed, the estate is responsible for any taxes owed. However, there is currently no fed tax on estates under $2 mil.

The house does not have to be sold immediately. But the estate will have to pay any taxes due or mortgage until the property is sold. Also, the cost basis of the property is the value of the property as of June 2010. So when the property is sold, capital gains will be based on that cost basis.

Another issue here is the status of this estate. Has the property been transferred to the siblings names or is it still a part of the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What taxes on inherited property at $17,000 value. Eight of us inherited it in Ga. [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom passed away and left her home and land to 8 of us. We sold it to one sister for the value of $ 17,000. Our Lawyer was of no help to us. What kind of taxes are we responsible for? This is in Georgia. Our Dad passed away in 2006. Mom passed in Aug. of 2009.

If I sell inherited farm property, do I have to pay income tax for the value? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a 1/3 share of a farm that is co-owned by two other relatives. I sold the property for $76K. Do I pay income tax on $76K or only if it's sold for more than it's appraised for?

Sell of Inherited Property [ 2 Answers ]

My mom and her sister inherited their fathers property after he died, there was no mortgage to pay. When he passed away it was appraised for over 100k, They have an offer for 90k, when it was recently appraised for 85k. Are they going to have any taxes to pay on the property if all goes well with...

Should I sell inherited property that has depreciated in value or donate it? [ 1 Answers ]

This rental property was appraised for $60,000. At the time I inherited it. The tenants have totally trashed both apartments, and have been evicted. I am no longer generating income and losing money every month it sits empty. I do not have the resources to repair the damages, and have been offered...

Inherited property one wants to sell the other doesn't who has what rights [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and her sister inherited their mothers condo, her sister wants to rent it out my wife would like to sell it next spring. What rights does my wife have? Can she force her sister to sell? What if her sister doesn't like the price that is offered for the property-can my wife force the sale?...

View more questions Search