Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hebaa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
    What happens if a tenant breaks a lease in Miami?
    I am a student and have to leave Miami because I changed my school to another state, but the landlord insists that I have to pay all the remains months. What should I do?
    hebaa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 02:08 PM
    The landlord already kept the security deposit and still ask me to pay ?
    As I said before I'm a student living in an apartment in Miami for 7 months, but I have to break the lease because I changed my school the contract last for one year.However the landlord forcing me to pay the remains months but he already kept the deposit.
    Please What should I do?
    tazimorandi Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
    In Colorado, you technically are responsible for the remaining 5 months. He has the right to keep the security deposit to make up for any damages or defiency in the rent. If the landlord is a corporation, he probably will go after you if they have attorneys on consignment. Otherwise, if it is a private landlord, chances are he will do nothing except keep your security deposit.

Next time when signing a lease, make them put a clause if relocation may be possible during the term of the lease either because of changing schools or job relocating, that it releases you of the obilgation.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 07:11 AM

Hello h:

You are, of course, responsible for the rest of your lease... In Colorado, as in EVERY other state, the landlord is required to MITIGATE your damages... That means he MUST try to re-rent the apartment as soon as he possibly can in order to save you money...

In Florida, that isn't a requirement... Your landlord can just sit back and collect rent from you on your empty apartment... There's actually NOTHING you can do about it.

excon

PS> (edited) Actually, there IS one thing you can do... Depending on how long you have remaining on your lease, you can make an offer of cash to your landlord instead of him having to sue you. I'd offer TWO months rent in exchange for him leaving you alone.. If he goes for it, get it in writing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2011, 07:29 AM

I merged your threads, please don't stater multiple threads for the same question. If you need to add more info use the Answer options to add another post.

We need to know the time frame here. Have you actually moved out? Did you give notice to the landlord that you were vacating?

The landlord cannot keep the deposit until you have vacated. And then he has to give you a statement of how the deposit was used. On the other hand, since you can't, legally, break the lease, the lease isn't over so he can't keep the deposit yet. He also can't require you to pay all 5 months until the expiration of the lease. He can, however, require that you continue to pay the rental.

As noted Fl is the only state that doesn't require the landlord to make a good faith effort to re rent. So he can just sit on the property then sue you when the lease expires for the 5 months rental.

So your choices are as follows:
    1) Negotiate a buyout. Generally you offer 2 months rental to get out of the lease.
    2) Sublet. If the lease allows, find someone to sublet.
    3) Find a new tenant- Find someone to take over the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the rules in KS, where do I begin when the tenant breaks the lease [ 4 Answers ]

What are the rules in KS, where do I begin when the tenant breaks the lease

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Tenant Breaks Lease in Florida, his son won't leave [ 1 Answers ]

My 80 year old condo tenant signed a lease that ends in March 2010. He has been hospitalized and will be going straight to a nursing home. The tenant previously gave me signed notice that he will vacate the premises effective July 1. His 50 year old son had also moved into the condo, and he refuses...

Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed...

View more questions Search