Dec 14, 2010, 07:32 AM
    Weight of methane gas
    Is methane gas heavier than air?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moniquecareddu View Post
    Is methane gas heavier than air?
    No! Methane gas is known as "the lift gas". It is also explosive.
    Does this answer your question? Tom
    chefpierce Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2010, 05:43 PM
    No. It is actually lighter than air.
    You can work this out from the fact that a gas's density is proportional to its formula mass.
    If we take the atomic masses of Carbon (C) as 12, Hydrogen (H) as 1, Oxygen (O) as 16 and Nitrogen (N) as 14 then:
    Air contains Nitrogen (N2) - 78% and oxygen (O2) 21%. The equivalent 'formula mass' of air is therefore just slightly more than 28 (2 x14)
    Methane's (CH4) formula mass is 12+ 4 or just 16 - so it is lighter than air as the formula mass (and hence density) is less than 28.
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2) has a formula mass of 44 (12 + 16 + 16) so it is much more dense than air.
    Hydrogen (H2) with a formula mass of just 2, is much lighter than air - in fact it is the lightest gas of all.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 06:22 PM

Hi chefpierce...

Having a chemistry and biology background myself I can really appreciate the answer given!

Thanks for posting the answer... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exposure to Methane Gas [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone Im 24 and have recently been told I have been exposed to methane gas for around 3 months... now over the past month or so I have felt sick (but that has eased) and suffering with headaches. The other day I started with severe neck ache only on my left side and now to add to it it...

I have a methane gas smell in my home. [ 0 Answers ]

Last summer, I started to have a methane/sewage smell in my home. I called a septic plumber and they replaced my pipes under my sinks in the kitchen and laundry room, added an extension on my vent pipe, and closed off an old vent pipe that had broke in the wall as well as added goosenecks on my...

Pea drain.methane gas [ 7 Answers ]

Home tear down. Rebuilt. 2nd story bath has a horrible smell when the wind blows. Plumber said distance between subfloor and floor of bathroom too small for peadrain and methane gas comes up through shower, tub, and sinks(2) I thought there was no smell w/ methane. What could be causing smell?...

View more questions Search