Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dane7781 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 07:43 PM
    93 year old mother in PA wants to give money to her kids
    My 93 year old mother would like to give her kids each $1,000 for Christmas. If something happened to my mother's health and she had to go into a nursing home would the nursing home or State be able to come after the kids for the money? My mother has a $40,000 CD. Is there limits to what my mother can give her kids that a nursing home could not go after the kids for if mom has health problems in the future?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane7781 View Post
    My 93 year old mother would like to give her kids each $1,000 for Christmas. If something happened to my mother's health and she had to go into a nursing home would the nursing home or State be able to come after the kids for the money? My mother has a $40,000 CD. Is there limits to what my mother can give her kids that a nursing home could not go after the kids for if mom has health problems in the future?
    I don't understand your question. Your mother wants to give all of her money to her children and then, if she gets sick in the future, not pay the nursing home?

Typically if someone passes away and they owe money, the creditor/lender will file against his/her estate. Whatever is left in the estate will be used to pay off the creditors/lenders and the heirs will receive the balance according to the will.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 07:12 PM

In the US, there are special laws where the nursing home can come after property and money ( beyond minor gifts) that are given to family members for a number of years.

It was 5 years for a long time if memory serves me correctly, although I could be wrong as I am sometimes.
    But I heard they were trying to increase that time frame.

Remember while from family view point, they of course want her money, but nursing homes are not free and expect to be paid, so it is not fair either to have the money to pay the bills, and hide the money so not to pay it.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 07:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dane7781
    Dane7781 does not find this helpful : She does not want to give away all of her money. She wants to give 15% of it to her kids. The rest would be in the CD for the nursing home if she has healthproblems requiring a nursing home care.o
    First of all, you may want to direct your attention to the guidelines for using the rating system:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

If you can point out what was factually wrong about my statement, I'll gladly apologize. Otherwise, you are out of line.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not going to apologize. All you've posted about for nearly four years is your mother's money and what's going to happen to it and who's going to get it and how can you make sure you get your share of it. Your behavior is disgusting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 2 kids my kids mother is deceased, we had no custody papers, can I get my kids [ 5 Answers ]

My ex and I have not been together for over 5 years and I would send money and see my kids when I can they live in California, I live in Texas. 3 weeks ago my ex was killed and now my kids who are 5 and 4 are with their grandmother right now, can I go get my kids. My ex and I had no custody...

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

View more questions Search