Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajmcmk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 05:55 AM
    Upgrade-relocate 100 amp service
    My 100 amp service panel is located inside my bedroom closet. The meter is outside. (It's a levit built home)... slab no garage. I would like to turn that service panel into nothing but a 150-200 amp circuit breaker, which would feed a relocated service panel installed in the closet under the stairs. That closet is in the middle of the house approximately 15' from outside wall where meter and service panel now resides. There, it would be far more accessible then having it in my bedroom, buried behind my hanging clothes.can this be done?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 06:15 AM
    You need to consult with your local inspector regarding the location of the panel and/or main.

No breakers, per Nationial Electric Code, are allowed in closets, period.

Some states, I know for example Connecticut, will NOT allow breakers under stairs, period.

The 2008 NEC edition does not allow breakers in a stairway.

Once you get the location of the panel and/or Main Breaker resolved, then you need to consult with the utility regarding your service entrance location ie: meter and service entrance feeder, either aerial or underground.

Dec 7, 2010, 04:45 AM
    Turns out I ran into a licensed electrician on my way into a building materials store. He told me yes, it can be done, as long as there is enough height inside the closet, and that give or take, apox cost, around 2k.

Dec 7, 2010, 04:53 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    As stated in above... ( It's a levit built home) almost every home in Levittown was built with the circuit breaker box in the master bedroom closet. So as retarded and illegal as that sounds, it is a reality and why I would like to move the box
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
    Well then, as I said, looks like you need to consult with the inspector. I have to assume that state or municipality has taken exception to that part of the National Electric Code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

100 amp service split into two 100 amp sub panels? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I am in the early planning phase of a project to add a 100 amp sub panel to my detached garage. This new sub panel in the garage will be used to charge electric vehicles. The current and only sub panel is installed in the kitchen and is directly wired to the 100 amp service box breaker...

I need help determining ihelp new 100 amp service panel or upgrade to a 200 amp [ 12 Answers ]

I've gotten conflicting advice from different electricians. We have a 40 year-old house with original 100 amp panel. It's about 1800 sf. I think we have the usual demands for a family of 4, 2 tv's, stereo, 3 laptops, printer, washer, dishwasher, plus a pool pump and filter (no heat or spa), etc....

100 to 200amp service upgrade [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I'm a homeowner and I was hoping to get some information on how I go about doing a panel upgrade. I want to go from a 100amp panel to a 200 amp panel but I'm not sure where to start. I've called and left messages at a few electrical companies this morning and I'm still waiting for a...

View more questions Search