Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Loud banging upon turning off baseboard hot water system
    Hi - we have baseboard hot water heat. When we go to bed at night we turn down the temperature on the thermostat, so the system shuts off for a bit as it cools down.

After a few minutes we start to hear very loud banging or breakng noises coming from mostly one room of the house (our bedroom). The noise repeats every 5-6 minutes, and lasts for 45 minutes to an hour. Our bedroom is above the garage, which is not heated.

Could these loud noises be the hot water pipes contracting very quickly because they are in a colder environment than the rest of the system?

Thanks much.
    eternalxgrace Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Could either be the contraction of the pipes u mentioned or water pressure-related issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heating system [ 3 Answers ]

Thans for your help in adavance, I have a hot water heating system boiler with a red pump at the side of the boiler. I would like to know does the pump pushes the water through the System.or pull the water back to the boiler.:rolleyes:

Bleeding Hot Water Baseboard System [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas fired boiler that heats water, uses 1 circulator pump to pump water to 2 zones (each with its own thermostat), using copper pipe to baseboards with fins. I am having difficulty bleeding the air out. One zone heats fine, the other not at all. I think there may be some kind of air...

Old tankless hot water system [ 3 Answers ]

Our house has an EverHot tankless hot water system that feeds off our oil-fired boiler (we have forced hot water baseboards). It looks like an older type of hot water system to me, but maybe not. The water at the taps does not get very hot, or if it does, it does not stay hot for very long. This...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

Hot water recirculator system [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink faucet and cold water heater:D couldn't be further apart without one of them being outside, so I am thinking about installing a recirculator pump system with a return line back to the cold water heater, to keep the hot water at the kitchen faucet when needed. I've read a lot about...

View more questions Search