Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    army4life Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Jan 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Custody Question
    As you have probably read in my other questions. My underage girlfriend is Pregnet. I have since been had a Honorable Discharge for reasons behind it. Im 18years old. If I have a job can I file for or can she give me custody of the child. When the child is born do I have any custody rights there
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
    If you can prove paternity you have rights. You would need to go to court to obtain custody or visitation unless the mother agrees to it.

Edited: I've reviewed your other notes and no where do you say how underage your girlfriend is. But I note that talk about join a law enforcement agency. Depending on how underage the girl is you could be prosecuted for statutory rape. That might end hopes of a law enforcement career.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
    My girlfriend is 16 years old. I believe the concent law in Ohio.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
    I would make sure of that. Also was she 16 when you started having sex with her as that matters. Since you were the one who made an issue of her being underage, it made me suspicious.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
    I don't think that she was under 16.. I myself have just turned 18 in October. And I did make sure that the concent law is 16. Can she sign Custody over to me or at least give me Joint with out her mother getting involved with it
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 7, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Why do you want custody? With concerns of the baby she is considered emancipated by the law when it comes to the baby and the baby only. Her parents make decisions about her welfare since she is under 18, however, she is responsible about making decisions about the baby.

However, what is your reason for wanting custody? There is just something fishy about all of your posts that has me wondering.

Jan 7, 2007, 03:56 PM
    We have both talked about this. She wants me to have custody of it so that her mother can't mess with her. She told me she doesn't want anychild support nor would I make her pay if I had custody. We both just think that the baby being at her house with her mother and step dad would be to stress-full of an environment. Im even kind of worried about her living there while she is pregnet. I Know stress can be bad if your pregnet,but I don't think there is really anything we can do about that. My mom is an RN she said she would let andrea stay here until 1 the baby is born or 2 if/when we get married. We do plan on getting married. Been together forever. But you have to have Parental Concent in Ohio and her mom isn't hearing of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
    The current law in Ohio is that age of consent for both male and female is 16. So if she was 16 when she got pregnant, not when she has the baby, you are OK, if the 9 month count down from the time of birth makes her 15 when she got pregnant you may have legal problems.

So I would talk to her and make sure the math works before you start making her mom too upset.

You will have to file for custody in court, from there I don't know what the court will do.

Jan 7, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Thank you. When the child is born though. I am 100percent sure the child is mine. I trust her with my life. So I don't need DNA testing or anything. When the child is born will I have joint custody to begin with? She was 16 when she got pregnet

Jan 7, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Lets define some terms here for you. There is custody and physical custody. Physical custody can be either sole or joint. In joint physical custody both parents have the child live with each about equally. In sole custody the child lives with one parent while the other parent may have visitation rights. Such rights could include overnights.

Joint custody (not physical) simply means both parents have a say in how the child is raised.

Generally, in an situation where the parents are not living together, the child is given to the mother for physical custody. For the father to get physical custody they would generally have to go to court and petititon for it, showing the child would be better off with him. In the absence of a record of abuse this is not likely to happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Hampshire Custody question [ 0 Answers ]

Not to long ago I had moved my son (who is now 18mo) and myself up from Florida to New Hampshire with the hope of his father becoming active in his life. He was ordered to pay child support after paternity was established (his name is not on the birth certificate) and had done so for the first two...

Custody question [ 1 Answers ]

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help.

Child Custody question. [ 4 Answers ]

What happens if the father does not show up at the court hearing for custody? The father of my two children has warrants out for his arrest and I am sure he will not show, just as he does not show for the child support meetings. If he doesn't show up at court for custody and I am requesting sole...

Custody Question? HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about getting sole custody with no visitation against an ex-husband who is pretty much a loser. He never holds a job for longer then a couple of months and he is living with his 19 year old girfriends parents and he is 24. He has been in prison 2-3 times and has felonies for drugs and...

Child Custody Question [ 12 Answers ]

Do you need to have a lawyer present in court when you petitoned the father of your child for sole custody? My ex- boyfriend is in a drug rehab but before he went in he cheated on me and fathered a chiled with another woman. So I am having him served for custody. He said he would not fight me on...

View more questions Search