Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Nov 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Dimmable CFLs in Recessed Can Fixtures
    Doing a kitchen remodel & will have 10 recessed 4" can fixtures. Considering the use of dimmable CFLs & have several questions.

1. Will a standard dimming switch work OK on CFLs?

2. Any recommendation on which brand works best?

Thanks, Tom
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Need to check the specs of the dimmer and CFL lamp to be sure they are compatible.

All brands are the same, all Made in China.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2010, 03:44 PM
    Be sure to read the CFL label. Newer ones are dimmable with an incandescent dimmer, some older ones are not. If you opt out of the CFL's and go incandescent, make sure the total wattage does not overload the dimmer. Standard dimmers are rated at 600Watts-10 lamps at 60Watts. I just inspected a house where they had 16X60 Watt halogens on a 600 Watt dimmer. Couldn't touch the metal switchplate without getting burned.
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2010, 07:04 AM

I did some searches on dimmable CFLs to use in the kitchen recessed cans. Found this CFL and LED Lamp list.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ulb%20list.pdf LED Bulb List.pdf

A new supplier, not on the list, is Pure Spectrum Lighting. Based on the reviews, their CFLs appear to have superior features, especially the instant on full brightness & 100% to 20% dimmable.

Dimmable CFLs | PureSpectrum Lighting

Unfortunately, they don't currently have a fully enclosed reflector downlight.

PureSpectrum's Dimmable CFLs | PureSpectrum Lighting

I bought the 20 watt bare spiral on Amazon.com (currently the only sales source). The cost was less than $6 each.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting - Dimmable CFLs - Need an overview [ 7 Answers ]

I've been trying to make sense of all the different recessed lighting options. Here's the setup I'd like. Is this possible? * 6 recessed lights connected to single dimmer, Insulated Ceiling, New construction * Have the option to use either dimmable CFLs OR incandescents * bulbs of either type...

Dimmable daylight candlebra [ 0 Answers ]

Here is the situation: Ceiling Fan with Light (Candlebra base) installed. Wall switch controls both (fan and light) and both are dimmers. We want a Daylight bulb (>5000K plus color temperature). Can someone suggest where I can find a Candlebra Daylight Dimmable bulb? Tried Lowe's and Home...

Dimmable Recessed Spots for Bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

Hi we had some cowboys install our bathroom... and one of the things they installed weree 6 dimmable recessed lights. When you turn the lights down, the extractor fan also reduces power (so presumably is on the same circuit). Our problem (apart from the fan) is that the connection between the...

CFLs flicker from fan motor remote [ 8 Answers ]

My ceiling fan has two light circuits: an accent light and a light kit. The accent light has standard bulbs and the light kit has CFLs. I connected a wireless remote to the fan motor and the accent lights. When the wireless remote receiver is powered the CFLs flicker. The CFLs have a separate...

Recessed fixtures. CFL vs Incandecent [ 2 Answers ]

I am still debating which lights to use. I noticed when looking on Halo's website that they have a different part number for fixtures using the two different bulbs. I have always been under the impression that CFL bulbs can be used in standard fixtures. Why would the manufacturer have a different...

View more questions Search