Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adispatcher Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Is it too soon to give baby food?
    I just want to get opinions here... my baby is 3 months old... he drinks 4 oz formula every three hours, and starting the past few days we have been adding a teaspoon of rice cereal w/each bottle because he spits up otherwise, it makes it a bit thicker. He drinks a tablespoon of oatmeal w/his formula ONCE, the night time bottle before bed, 9pm & sleeps until 6 or 7am the next morning usually. We got a jar of baby food from a relative in a goody bag for him, I got curious today, opened it & dabbed my finger in it & fed it to the baby & he loooooved it. (squash btw). So I dabbed my finger in it a few more times & he continued taking it frm off my finger loving it! I then fed him his bottle. When is it okay to start baby food? I would rather do veggies at first.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2010, 12:08 PM

You really need to discuss this with your child's pediatrician. Usually it's not recommended to start feeding baby's any solid foods before certain ages because 1) they're systems aren't ready for them and 2) they can have allergy problems if they have certain foods too early.

Here's a helpful website: Starting Solids Guide for Infants
    But it's really important that you talk to your pediatrician before you give anymore solid foods.

Nov 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Comment on justcurious55's post
    Okay. Thank you.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 04:14 AM

The current recommendation is to wait closer to 6 months. There are times when a thickening formula is used, but this should only be under the doctor's direction. Most spitting up is perfectly normal and more of an issue for parents than for baby. Unless he were losing weight due to the amount and frequency of spitting up, there usually is not a concern.

Babies will eat baby foods early on, and enjoy them, but as justcurious mentioned, their systems are not yet ready to really deal with them properly.

Try not to be in a rush to get baby onto solids... the formula will be his main source of nutrition for the first year and solids will be a gradual compliment to his milk more so later in the second half of the first year.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 04:38 AM

Just to add to what Doula has said, the reason to wait on baby food is that your baby's digestive system is not yet ready to handle foods and can lead to allergy problems later in life.

Nov 18, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Okay. Thank you for your input. I won't give him baby food then. I read about it not being good for their digestive system until later on & how they're more prone to have allergies from the baby food if you give it to them too early. Thanks so much
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 18, 2010, 01:29 PM

Glad to hear you're going to wait. :)

We gave my daughter a slow introductions to jarred #1 stage foods at 7 months. We quickly learned that anything with a acidic preservative (like citric acid) gave her a rash. She could only eat squash, green beans, etc. that only listed water as the second ingredient in the jar.

She couldn't tolerate acids until 10.5 months old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What food should I give my dog after it ate pork bones? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog ate a few pork chop bones, what food can I give her to be safe until it leaves her system?

Can Fast food Give you IBS? [ 1 Answers ]

OK here goes hi lol OK well I'm 18 with a 6 month old daughter, I'm at college and working part time so I barelly get to any time for myself and I'm constantly on the go but what I want to know is can fastfood nearly all the time give me IBS, I'm finding it a strain juggeling everything and...

Making my own baby food [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning on making my own baby food and so far I only know how to make carrots and peas. How do I make sweet potatoes and fruit? He is going to start rice cereal today which is pretty exciting, but I just want to get started on making everything and freezing it so I can have everything ready...

Food for my baby [ 14 Answers ]

Please give me recipes to feed my 9 month old baby

Baby Food [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old little girl and wanted to know just how much baby Food to feed her at a time. I know to feed her a tablespoon of cereal twice a day but now that she can have baby food also I was just wondering how much she got at a time.

View more questions Search