Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alyxM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 01:33 AM
    Is this a sutable cause for civil action regarding defamation or slander
    I am an established photographer and recently joined an online meeting place similar to Facebook. I recently took some photographs at the local Toronto Nuit Blanhe arts festival here I Toronto and just last week posted a photo of a persons torso in bondage there are no difining marks or face shots in the photograph. This is completely leagle to print and distribute under Canadian law. But cercomstances developed at another unrelated event and prompted a few people to demand that the photo be removed and went on to an unrelated post where I am advertising for models to pose for a Brest Cancer book I am producing and called me un trustworthy and un professional here is a quote from the post and my original post

My post

"desperately seeking
    by Alyx-Mitchell about 1 month ago
    Hi all I am seeking models for two ongoing projects the first book is a fundraising project to raise funds for breast cancer research the book is titled "cups for cancer" and it is a compilation of photographs of female breasts.and info on breast cancer as well as information on support groups in your area and how to do self exams etc.
    To participate in this project contact me here or through my cups website or at my main website. all addresses to follow.

the other project is a kinky/fetish book titled "middle aged Kinky" for this project I am looking for people in there mid to late 30s and up to pose for a mini photo spread with a little Bio blurb about what they are into and how they got into the Kinky/Fetish lifestyle"

His reply

"Why, so you can threaten to post the pictures of them when they piss you off? Say, for warning you about taking pictures without consent at a play party?"

This was in regards to something that happened 1 week after I posted a photo of his friends torso photo is displayed here the party that he is referring to was 1 month after the original photo was taken then he went on to warn people not to work with mesaying

"I think anybody thinking about this should consider the quality of person they're getting involved with."

I fave already had 2 customers contact me regarding this post
    And as you can see the photo is very tasteful totally annonymous
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alyxM View Post
    Is this a sutable cause for civil action regarding defamation or slander
    Hello a:

No. You weren't defamed. You were criticized.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2010, 05:01 AM

Frankly, if I saw someone advertising for models for a photo book on breasts along with an ad for kinky/fetish, I would wonder about such a person and stay away.

I agree with excon, I don't see any defamation here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 07:35 AM

Yes, they merely were being critical of you and your work, welcome to the world of being a little more noticed. When you go public on boards, you will get that.

Nov 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    You have to take the context of the add it is in a fetish community not a mainstream site the two projects are totally unrelated but it was a two birds with one stone type of post witch has gotten a good reaction until that post.

Nov 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
    You have to take the context of the add it is in a fetish community not a mainstream site the two projects are totally unrelated but it was a two birds with one stone type of post witch has gotten a good reaction until that post
    calarts Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2010, 02:21 PM
    If what he said is true its not defamation, second its libel not slander libel is written word slander is verbal... did you have permission to photograph? Was it public or a private party? Now you say the pic doesn't identify anyone so you shouldn't be in trouble cause if it was a private event (paid for or private home) the person whose pic you took could sue you... but advertising breast cancer with festish? Your reputation legally likely unharmed... and you need to ask people to use there image for commercial purposes or your portfolio, as they would likely sue you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slander or defamation of character [ 16 Answers ]

I play an amateur sport in Ireland at a high level, and there is a number of websites and magazines who report my clubs games. I have spent my last six weeks out in Thailand with my wife, we spend quite a lot of time out there as my father and brother both live out there. And in a preview of...

Slander and Defamation Laws [ 2 Answers ]

Hello to All. Well my boyfriend's baby's mother has just found out about six months ago that he and I are together, and needless to say she is jealous beyond reason. She has made continuous false claims to DCF (dept of children & families) saying that he and I have physically and sexually abused...

Slander and Defamation in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

We have an employee who has been making accusations against other employees. She accused one coworker of taking bribes from customers, and today accused two other employees of having an affair. In neither case are these accusations true. On the first instance, she was reported to HR, who did an...

Slander/defamation in the workplace [ 20 Answers ]

How much can I sue a company for slander/defamation by an employer

Slander and Defamation of Character [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can sue my husbands x-wife for stating on paper through her attorney that I have called her daughter a lesbian. Also, for stating that I have tried to cause her child harm by sending elicit pictures of her daughter to the school she attends. All these are wrongful and...

View more questions Search