Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Explaining the horror of declawing cats to young children who want to know why?!
    EXPLAINING THE HORROR OF DECLAWING CATS TO YOUNG CHILDREN WHO WANT TO KNOW WHY?!
    I would appreciate if members can advise me on explaining to a 10 year old, the truth on what the Vet does, to unfortunate cats who are declawed. I received a letter asking me this (I do rescues) - and I need to respond to her. Most people are not aware of the "specifics" - in that it is truly a HORRIFIC and very ABUSIVE operation, and it leaves cats with an enitire lifetime of mental and physical PAIN - and very often - with traumatic behavioural problems, as a result of this surgery. (such as personality changes - becoming withdrawn, introverted, nervous, fearful, aggressive, biting, urinating on clothes, not using the litter box - because of how painful it feels to scratch the litter, after the surgery... :( etc. etc. ) The fact is that they do not only remove the nails (which the thought of causes me great distress... but they actually do an AMPUTATION all the way up to the first joint of each of their digits. She asked me: "is it really true that when the Vet does this operation it is as if the poor cat is HAVING THE TIPS OF THEIR 10 FINGERS CUT OFF?" I would like to have this child know the TRUTH... but, I am not sure of myself - in how to respond to her letter properly, with a proper description. Are there any members who can help me with this? She is also asking why it is legal here in North America - she commented that the people in Europe are so much nicer because over there it is illegal to do this to cats. I have received information that it has been used for torture of prisoners of war!

In my opinion, this inhumane, and very barbaric surgery should be OUTLAWED all over the world! :(
    Thanks.

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Tell them it's very similar to having your own finger nails removed and them never growing back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of TV Horror Movie with Cats [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for a title of a TV movie I saw in the late 70s or 80s- it was three or four mini story lines involving cats. The story lines were: 1) cats turning on their owner and maid and ate them 2) a cat shrunk the size of its painter owner and then killed the owner 3) a cat manupulates props...

Horror/thriller from the 80's with scarry children [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I'm looking for a movie I'm guessing from the 80's. It's about a group of children on a bus trip. The bus drives into an area, where there's radiation. All the children return home (I think), and when they touch somebody, the people they touch skin breaks/disapears, and they die. The...

How do you teach your young children about sex? [ 5 Answers ]

My 5 year old son has been masturbating ever since I can remember, but after he turned 2, he learned not to do it in public, although I know he has continued to do it fairly regularly on his own. He started learning this year in school the different parts of the body, including sexual organs. He...

Children watched a forbidden horror movie [ 14 Answers ]

Gee I hope I'm not posting too many questions about children and babies! I must look like an idiot. But I really need the extra support and I always receive such good answers here... Yesterday my husband and I hired a babysitter for part of the evening, so that we could go out together. The...

View more questions Search