Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strawberrylover Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Using a Kennel
    When should I begin to use a kennel? When he is a puppy? Or later on?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 07:58 PM

I'm a cat person, and have never had a dog, but have learned by reading threads here on this site that a cage or kennel is supposed to be a dog's "safe place," not a place of punishment. The dog should not be locked in a kennel all day, and a puppy especially has to be trained to it carefully and gradually.

Read through appropriate threads on this site, and a dog expert will be along to answer this more thoroughly than I did.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 12:07 AM

Use one as soon as possible.

If you allow the puppy to sleep on your bed or even locked n a certain room of the house with his own bed it will be a lot harder to crate train him later.

I made that mistake with my puppy. When I first got him he was already crate trained so we continued crating from the day he arrived.
    Well, winter came and it was cold in the bedroom (he's a hairless dog) and we let him on the bed with us.
    4 months later he's still on the bed with us and whines and cries when we try and crate him.

If you are consistent, and the pup learns what is expected of him (ie: being quiet in the crate) he will continue to be good.
    Dogs, like children need consistency and structure in their lives, if something changes, no matter how small, you can expect changes in behaviour.

If you need any crate training tips just let us know and we'll be happy to give a few pointers.
    Vinny629 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 07:39 AM
    You should start kennel training as soon as you have your puppy. You don't need to wait for a certain age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to start a business which should not take much time. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start a business which should not take much time, if it is online then it would be better for me, a little money I can invest, it should be profitable. I just want to earn good money. If I find it fruitfull then I can take it to a big scale.

Heater will not start a second time [ 4 Answers ]

I have a goodman model #pg8060100-1. when the heat is off for a while say a couple of hours the heat will come and shut off. But then it will not come back on I see the inducer fan working but nothing else could it be the switch that's connected to the inducer fan? Please help

Mower won't start the second time [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just atarted my new Troy bilt self propelled lawn mower and ranit a few feet to see whether I would need the bagger. Then I cut it off. Now it won't start. What do I do? Please help

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

View more questions Search