Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    New York Land Owner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 12:52 AM
    Warranty deeds
    If I were to transfer my real estate with mortgages on them into separate LLC's and later get a default judgement or lawsuit against me. Can the person that has the default judgement against me lien the property in the LLC or cause me to have to sell the property now in the LLC? Thanks Jeff in New York
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Hello Jeff:

If the judgment creditor can prove that you moved these properties out of your name to AVOID the judgment, then they can attach them. No, you won't have to sell them, but if you ever do, they'll get theirs, plus interest.

I don't think the mortgage lender is going to be too happy about transferring ownership to an LLC. They loaned the money to YOU, not the LLC, and if you do this, they will probably call the loans.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2007, 07:28 AM
    You cannot, legally, transfer property subject to a mortgage lien without the lienholder's permission. A mortgage holder is unlike to grant such a transfer. What you can do is have the LLCs obtain mortgage commitments, then buy the properties from you. Paying off the existing mortgages.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 07:43 AM
    This is of course fraud, since to own property and items of value that could be sold to pay off a debt and attempt to hide this property to protect its value is illegal.

I am nost saying it is not done but it is not legal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deeds [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Friend That Purchased A Home In June And The Deed States That It Is A Bargin Sale Deed. I Would Like To Get More Information Concerning That And I Would Like To Know If That Was A Good Move For Her To Do.

Deeds [ 3 Answers ]

I have just returned from my holiday and found out that I have been burglarized, My safe was stolen and in side were my house Deeds. Can anyone tell me what could happen if the Deeds fell into the wrong hands, Can some one try to claim my house as there's ?

Deeds [ 1 Answers ]

My warranty deed(for my home) has my name and my wife's name along with address of property, but does not tell us if it is by joint tenant, tenants in common, or tenacy by the entirety. What kind of ownership do we have?

About warranty Deeds [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are divorcing. He owns 40 acers and is spliting it with me as part of the divorce. I was told all we need is a warranty deed. But to be very careful as to how it is written. So I was hoping to get help as to what to look for when he gives me this deed?

View more questions Search