Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Atlantaman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Toilet and shower problems
    When my toilet is backed up, the other toilet in down the hall is also backed up. Also both the shower tubs are flowing out water and debris, please help?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 03:31 PM

Hi AM:

Sounds like your main drain line is clogged... need to snake the drain.

Are you a single family house? What is the lowest fixture in the house and is it backing up as well? Let me know...

Mark
    blazer45 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2010, 07:01 PM
    It sounds like a venting problem. You really need to check and see if 1. the shower has a vent and 2. the toilet is venting correctly. The only way to know for sure without breaking up the slab is to camera the lines. This can tell you how the piping was ran, what size pipe and where any vents may be pulled off. Other than that you'll need to find a way to get access to the drain piping. My guess is the home did not originally come with a bathroom in the basement, it was added later by the homeowner and probably not done right.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 04:19 AM

Hey Blazer...

I completely disagree with you on your advice here.

A venting problem could certainly cause issues with plumbing drains but when we hear that the "shower tubs are flowing out debris" and that " my toilet is backed up, the other toilet in down the hall is also backed up" it is clear that the drain system is clogged and the drain lines need to be snaked... OR.. the septic system is full and needs to be pumped out.

Also, suggesting that someone camera the drain line to check to find a toilet vent is expensive and unnecessary as most bathrooms either WET VENT the toilets through the lavatory vent or an individual vent can be found above ground. And, how many basements do you know with two toilets? Most likely, we're talking a slab home here... ;)

Simply put, the advice you give does not follow reasonable steps to resolve the issue as presented by Atlantaman.

Keep an eye on this thread and let's see what Atlantaman does to fix this, OK?

Thanks...

Mark
    Atlantaman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
    Well I had to call a septic company to take a closer look. And it was clogged with kinds of stuff. There's a valley which is causing both toilets to get clogged, so the pipes wasn't going through the septic system in fron of the house. All is better for now. Thanks for the help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2010, 08:03 AM

Atlastaman,

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you need further assistance
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet problems, toilet won't old water and won't flush [ 1 Answers ]

We have two toilets in our home and they have quit flushing today. We also have a septic system that we have never had drained and we have lived here 6 years. We did get some rain today and we were wondering if it is due to the rain that we are having toilet issues or is something else going on?

Girgling in toilet and shower when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new septic tank and leach field installed in Jan of 08. In Jan 09 we begin to notice the shower drains girgling when we flushed the toilets and also noticed septic water coming up through the ground on the lower and last run of the leach field. I discovered that my underground gutter...

Toilet,and shower backed up with toilet draing into shower. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

Why is whole bathroom backed up and toilet is coming up into shower as well.

Toilet problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets giving me problems. The first toilet had dental floss accidentally flushed down it. A few days later it was clogged up. I can only assume it had to do with the Dental floss. We plunged it and it works but the water fills up and goes down really slow. Could someone tell me why or...

View more questions Search