Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tikki14 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2010, 08:51 AM
    How much can people change?
    My boyfriend is a very angry person. He quarrels everyday with someone (especially with his mother) anywhere he goes, but he is very kind and patient around me. Is it because he is in love with me or it depends on the person he interacts with (I am very calm and patient)? I know that we might not be together forever, but I'd like to know if people can change that much.

I'd also be grateful if you were so kind to suggest me something about how to make him become a better person without giving him boring rules of what to do or not to do. He has already made the first two steps: he knows that his behaviour is wrong and he wants to change.

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tikki14 View Post
    I'd also be grateful if you were so kind to suggest me something about how to make him become a better person without giving him boring rules of what to do or not to do. He has already made the first two steps: he knows that his behaviour is wrong and he wants to change.
    Hello t:

He has to do it on his own. He could do it spontaneously, or he could seek some help. There's lots of books on the subject, and lots of places to go to find help.

But, what I have to say to YOU, is get rid of the "make him" philosophy. You can't MAKE HIM do anything, and the more you try, the more you'll fail.. He is what he is.

excon
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2010, 03:07 PM

Sounds to me like he has some deep rooted issues. If he doesn't deal with his anger shortly, he may just explode at the wrong time on the wrong person and end up hurt and/or in jail.

I know you said that he is kind and patient around you. Believe me, that is only temporary. The day will come when his wrath will rain down on you.

He needs counseling to get to the bottom of his issues. Anger issues take years to calm, so if you plan on staying with him be prepared for a long ongoing challenge.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 09:00 PM
    Yes, people can change. When repeated behaviour has predictable, negative results, over and over and over again, and a person seeks help to turn it all around, of course there is hope for change.

The key is wanting to change. As Con said, you cannot make anybody change by contributing to the behaviour (covering it up, arguing nonsense, and otherwise unproductive communication). Any change an individual wishes to achieve, has to start with that individual, on his terms.

He is lucky to have you, and that you are a kind and patient person. He is not unlike anybody else with problems to overcome; a supportive, loving partner, can help move mountains.

I agree also with Devorameira. His anger is a learned, inappropriate response that has become normal and predictable behaviour for him. He will have to learn many things in order to manage his anger, including identifying triggers, recognizing patterns, and having alternate choices in handling it.

While it has to start with him, I hope you see enough good in this person, that you will be a reliable source of support and encouragement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How does the environment change the lives of the people in france? [ 1 Answers ]

How does the environment change the lives of the people in France? I need to know what the affect of the environment changes for the people. What did people do to change the way they lived because of the environment.

People change [ 4 Answers ]

Can people change and this make relationships better

Can People Truly Change? [ 5 Answers ]

I had been BEST FRIENDS with this girl since we were in the 5th grade. We did everything together; I was always over at her house spending the night, the weekends, the summers... we were inseparable. As we grew up, I moved away for a year, then came back. In that year, I don't know if it...

Can people really change [ 19 Answers ]

When I was 16, and still a virgin, my then boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend who was not a virgin. My friend lost her virginity when she was 9 years old. After I found out they had sex, I broke up with my boyfriend and immediately ended the relationship with my friend as well. That was...

View more questions Search