Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syd80844 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2010, 11:43 PM
    My mom always gets my hopes up high, then crushes them
    My mom always says that we are going to do something fun, but we never do. Like one time she and her friend were planning to have a fun night at the fair, but of course it turned out that we ended up not doing anything she said that we were going to do. When I remind her about what she said that we were going to do she looks at me like I'm crazy or something. She doesn't remember anything important. This one time her friend was spending the night and then they were on the patio (where she always is, where she is now as I speak in fact) and they said we were going to get ''refreshments'' at a restaurant near the beach that we were going to the next day. Then as we were leaving the beach I was in the car and said ''r we going to get refreshments?'' my moms friend said ''i don't think its time for a fat lip syd.'' And I was really confused. PLZZZ HELP ME!! My hopes always get up to high
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 12:25 AM

Have you told your mom how you feel about this? Sometimes plans change. Not getting a drink at the beach isn't the end of the world, and she didn't even tell you that they were going to do that, you just overheard her and her friend talking.

Sometimes it's hard not to get your hopes up, but remember that circumstances change and parents can't always give their kids what they want.

How old are you?
    jelly1bean Posts: 50, Reputation: 8

Oct 31, 2010, 06:40 AM
    I am not really sure why your mom's friend asked you "if you wanted a fat lip"... um... I would be like not particularly. Maybe it was the way you said it and she was joking but her response didn't sound that funny to me but I am an outside observer and can only go by what I am told. Maybe you and the friend have a relationship like that where you tease back and forth and that would be common and excepted by both of you.

As for getting hopes up and crushing them. As a mom, myself I am sure that I have disappointed mine (not meaning to) and I remember being disappointed myself when I was younger. Things do come up and things do change, like if it has to do with something that costs money, anything could have happened. Like, an unexpected bill, not getting a check you were expecting, even something at work/home could have come up and could have changed things to where she couldn't go or no longer felt like going out and doing something fun. For me and my family, If anything comes up and we can't do what we had planned I try to make another plan (maybe do something else or another day). Maybe next time that happens suggest something.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jelly1bean View Post
    I am not really sure why your mom's friend asked you "if you wanted a fat lip"...um...I would be like not particularly.
    Its not about giving a fat lip to someone. Its an expression. Like showing sadness by hanging your lower lip out (a fat lip).
    jelly1bean Posts: 50, Reputation: 8

Oct 31, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Never heard that one before, learn something new everyday. :O)
    syd80844 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2010, 01:44 AM
    Comment on jelly1bean's post
    Thank you :)
    CODAninja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Hello I am in the same situation with my mom, in fact we were going to have a bonfire at my grandmas house tonight and when I asked my grandma if I can bring my friend she said yes, but then when I told my mom that my grandma said I can she said I don't even think we are having a bonfire then my body just went limp and I am sick of getting my hopes up what can I do because when I try to tell her how I fell she justs huffs and says get over it life not that great sox what can I do please respon i am lost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I did bad in high school but have high hopes [ 2 Answers ]

Well, first I'm going to start by saying I'm not originally from America, I came here in 1999 and by the time I learned english I was already way behind. In high school I had hopes of catching up, however my grandma got sick and I had to take care of her since my grandpa was sick as well, my dad...

I want to please my mom, but her expectations are just too high, what do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I absolutely love my mother, and I won't pretend that I'm without fault, but it seems like everything I do just isn't good enough. I'm starting to think it's true. I'm not looking for pity, or something I can shove in her face and tell her to back off, but I would really like some help so that I...

Boy Crushes [ 5 Answers ]

I kind of like this boy at school. We talk on aim all the time and in school all the time. We r really good friends and help each other, etc. At the end of our convos on aim, he always says ily so much as a sister, or ilylassdm!! He even refers to me as his girlfriend! He dates like a different...

Do I get my hopes up or not [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me after a year and didn't want me to call or stop by but, said she would do counseling. I did receive an email from her today just a christmas one sent to a lot of people but, I was on the list. I received a short notice invitation to a special event and sent her...

Crushes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and I have 3 guys that like me And I like one of them but I don't know what to say to the other two I mean the guy I like is not Cute at all but he's personality I like Please help me what should I say to these other two guys and I don't want to have to sneak around...

View more questions Search