Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    em1226 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 09:19 PM
    How to get your puppy to pee and poop outside
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
    There is so much info on this online, starting with the posts at the top of the Dogs board here, all the related Q and As here, and other online pet sites. Basically it takes patience and an enclosed area or crate in the house for the puppy to spend a lot of time in when not playing with you (so that he isn't as likely to go in that smaller space), and frequent walks with lots of praise when he goes.
    PhilM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Is your dog in a kennel when you sleep and you are not home? If so the easiest way to potty train them that I have found is as soon as you let them out of the Kennel and Every time you let them out of the kennel take them outside right away stay out there with them until they go and you don't have to come in right away if they want to play "after" they potty... let them you want them to think outside is fun. If you guys are just hanging out try to take them out every half hour or so but when they are puppies they don't know how to hold their pee and when they do feel urge it is a surprise to them so that is why they go with little to no warning... What worked for me and it is a lot of work at first just try to keep their blatters empty Hope that helps
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 11:29 AM

When toilet training a puppy you have two options...
    Start training the puppy to go do their business outside from the start, or get them to use puppy training pads.

Puppy training pads are cloth pads with a plastic backing, they encourage your dog to relieve themselves in one area only without damaging your carpet. You can use something like newspaper but unless you have it on a hard surface it will soak through.
    I personally am not a big fan of them, but in some situations (such as living in an apartment) they can come in handy.

If you have bought your puppy from a reputable breeder they will already have had some degree of toilet training. Most breeders will use pads or paper on one side of the room as well as having blankets for bedding on the other.
    The puppies naturally train themselves to go on the paper and not their bed.

If you unfortunately bought your dog from a pet store it is much harder. These dogs are generally kept on completely newspapered areas with little or no bedding, encouraging them to just urinate wherever they please. It can be remedied, it just takes a little longer, same with a lot of rescue dogs.

You can usually tell when your dog needs to go to the toilet, even puppies. Most pups will 'sniff out' the perfect spot to potty so if you catch your pup sniffing the ground and walking in circles this is the perfect time to rush them to your designated toilet spot!

If you happen to catch your puppy urinating or defacating on the floor and not in the designated area then just tell the puppy "no" in a growly voice and pick them up and move them to where they are allowed to go.

Soe pups will be naturals and catch on very quickly, others can have quite a few accidents before finally learning what is expected of them. Never lose patience with them, they are not doing it to 'spite' you, they just simply don't understand what is expected of them.

When you dog does go in the correct place, whether it be on the paper or outside on the grass the most important thing is to praise praise praise! Make them think that they have just done the best thing in the entire world. Dogs respond a lot better being praised when they have done something right than scolded when they have done something wrong.

The biggest misconception when it comes to toilet training is to rub the dogs nose in its own excrement. DO NOT do this as it has no benefit whatsoever other than to show the dog that you are just being plain mean to it, they do not understand the concept of this sort of punishment.

The best time to take your dog out to urinate is after every nap time. Whether it be a designated nap time in a crate or the pup has just fallen asleep, you need to rush them to their 'spot' as soon as they are awake.

As for defacating, the best time would be around 20-30 minutes after eating, although this does vary a lot depending on the dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy will pee outside but not poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Yorkie that will be 5 months old this month, he has been using a crate to go potty since we brought him at 9 weeks old, we are trying to train him to go outside, he will urinate outside but he won't poop, I went to the pet store and they told me that the crate I have it too big so I bought...

Puppy not going outside to poop or pee [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just got a new puppy and she is over 6 months old. We take her out for walks 5 plus time a day for long periods and she has peed twice in 3 days OUTSIDE. Inside she has peed twice and pooped once... help help help

Uses pee pad to pee, but never to poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua that’s about 3 months and I trained him to use pee pads in the house, he was doing really good so then I bought a litter box with no lid and put his pee pad in there to try and get him to be box trained, he wouldn’t use it, and started peeing and pooping on the floor, so I took...

How do I get my puppy to poop and pee when I walk him? [ 1 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel puppy, Phoenix, is about 5 months old and is housebroken in the sense that he uses the yard but he just does not seem to understand that he should eliminate when he is walked. He'll hold on and on and go as soon as he gets back from walking like any human might! He seems to be...

Dog will not pee or poop outside [ 1 Answers ]

I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block...

View more questions Search