Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Drain pipe configuration
    Hi,

I'm putting in a new bathroom on the third floor. I don't have good access to the existing stack, so I'm going to run a new, additional, 3" stack. The drain will service a toilet, bath tub and sink. I want the drain pipe to "hug the walls" to keep the pipe out of the way and box it in later.

Is there any limitation on how convoluted this 3" drain can be? Assuming I maintain the proper pitch along the way and use long radius elbows, I'm going to go down through the floor, horizontal for 2 feet, down 8 feet, horizontal for 16 feet, down 2 feet, horizontal for 25 feet, down 8 feet then 15 feet to the septic tank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Glenn
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Oct 25, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Hi,

There is no limitation on how convoluted your vertical pipes are vertically, but try and eliminate as much 90's. Also remember with all that 90 bends that there is a likely chance that liquid waste would leave solids behind because it is heavier and would be left behind. But don't forget a cleanout on the main floor as its required. The 2nd and 3rd floor does not require a cleanout. Goodluck
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 26, 2010, 06:14 AM
    I myself would access the existing stack on the third floor no matter what. I'd hate to have to deal with a clog in about 60 feet of new drain, most horizontal, now matter how good the pitch and turns.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2010, 07:02 AM

Do you have enough room for a 14 1/2" slope? If you can't access a closer stack how many cleanouts do you plan on installing? Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 02:47 PM

I tend to agree with one of the previous posts. If you can , tap into existing stack. It will be more economical - because what you describing seems to be way too much pipe / turns + too much work to run it all the way to the septic.

Oct 26, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Tom,

I plan on achieving the 14-1/2" drop along the way. Each horizontal run will include the 1/8" drop per inch.

I was only going to put in a clean out at ground level, but it sounds like I will include one on the second floor as well.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:36 PM

1/8" per inch? Is this a typo?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:41 PM

Hi all...

Good point, Bob (ballengerb1)...

1/8" slope per foot of pipe is usually only for 4" or larger pipes, however, Afaroo (another team member ;)) posted a code that actually allows an 1/8" per foot for 3" pipe, too... go figure.. huh?

I'd increase the slope to 1/4" per foot if possible... shorten the run if possible and install another cleanout where the pipe is accessible upstairs... for sure!

Supposed to install a cleanout for every 135 degree change in direction... if memory serves me.

Glad to help with work on cutting into the stack.

Mark
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:43 PM

By the Code I work under, we are required to put clean out on total of every 135 degrees of turns.

In addition, Inspectors often asks us to put clean out on every 90 degree of horizontal turns.

You cannot go wrong with clean outs. They cost few dollars and will save you lots of headaches later.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:45 PM

Funny... I was revising my post as you posted Milo. Our codes agree on this fact!

:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:47 PM

I could go with 1/8" per foot but not if a toilet is part of the picture. Codes vary but in thuis case I'd lean toward a stricter code and I'd put the toilet at the end of the branch drain.

Oct 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
    Yes, 1/8" drop per inch was a typo. Should be 1/8" per foot which is correct for a 3" pipe.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 07:35 PM

Make it 1/4" per foot / per 3" pipe...
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Oct 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Hi again,

My answer is 1/4" per foot on 4" pipe. If installing 4" pipe, 1/8 per ft is permitted but because of reduce flow you must total fixture units and multiply by a factor of .80.
    But it sounds like it is a toilet, lav, tub/shr only so it would be a 3" stack and horizontal. Code says 1/4" per foot with 3" pipe and not 1/8" . Horizontal drain pipes are allowed a max of 135 degree change in direction before a cleanout regardless of pipe size. If 3" horizontal pipe is installed at 1/8 per ft then definitely you would have liquid waste ahead of solids. So remember with proper slope of 1/4" per ft there would be better flow as it would be with 1/8" per ft which is reduced flow. THANKS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair small leak in sewer drain pipe at connection of pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet drain pipe has a small leak where two pipes connect. Is there a way I can repair the connection leak without taking the connection apart?

Can I connect PVC drain pipe to existing ABS vent pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding a shower to a basement 2 piece bathroom. Under the concrete is cast iron drain pipe. Above is ABS vent pipe which I'd like to tie into. Should I use 4" PVC or ABS drain pipe? This house is in Alberta Canada.

Drain vent configuration for a basement shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement shower that does not drain quickly enough, and I am guessing it is due to my vent configuration. The shower uses 2" plastic piping with trap, which then connects to 1 1/2" copper piping. That pipe connects to another copper pipe which is connected to the kitchen and laundry on...

Vent pipe configuration [ 17 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and need to move or sink about 8 feet from the original spot. I'd like to use the existing vent through the roof so that I don't have to make another whole in the roof. I've attached a picture of the setup I'm planning. Will this work since I'm in NJ?

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

View more questions Search