Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Signing over rights
    My boyfriend has a child from this girl, she has put him on child support
    But now he's considering signing over his paternal rights.
    He has recently stopped working and can no longer pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he still be obligated to pay for child support or any back payment that he owes?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 2, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Kanidce

All signing over his rights will do will be that he cannot make decisions regarding the health and welfare of his child. The child he made. The child who cannot go out and work and put food in its mouth. That is what child support is for. Therefore, he will still be responsible for the monitary raising of his child.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if this meant that he could rid himself of the monitary responsibility don't you think there would be a line a mile long at the courthouse. Every human wanting to relinquish their rights would be in that line.

So, yes, he will still be financially responsible.
    ADW76 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
    I don't mean to be blunt... but I hope you are not sexually active with this "BOY" (that is what he is, a man would take care of his child!) because he will do the same thing to you if you get pregnant. Please don't think you are different. It amazes me how many "girlfriends" get on here asking questions about what will happen if their boyfriends sign over rights. If I was with a guy that didn't take care of his child I would run like the wind.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Yes he will still have to pay child support, normally ( and I say this since there are exceptions in some states) but normally you can sign all your visitation and custody rights away, but your OBLIGATION to pay child support is also regulated by the state, since if the baby ever receives welfare benefits the father has to repay the state in many cases up to the child support limits.

So unless the mother of the child remarries and the new husband wants to adopt, he will be paying child support no matter what.

Next I will go with ADW76, he is not much of a husband or boyfriend material if he is not willing to support and visit his child. Why would you possibly want to be dating such a dead beat, you could be the next victim with a baby he is not helping
    smrtcookie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 08:16 AM
    I understand that the man should take care of his responsibility, but there are other circumstances to this. I know someone who made a big mistake with a woman who was taking birth control pills and stopped taking them to conceive on purpose, after knowing the man didn't want children. He even stepped up to take care of his responsibility(doesn't live with her, and is not with her), pays his child support, and sees his son every other weekend. (never missed a payment in 5 yrs). For the last 5 yrs the woman has done nothing but harrass him, call him names, smokes in the house (after the dr told her the child has allergies to cig smoke) and child needs allergy shots every week. She has made several attempts to get more money from domestic relations and has failed. He's not allowed to have any decision making in the kids life as to day care, doctors visits, nor anything else he's just supposed to pay and take the kid whenever she wants. You people are too quick to judge situations and too quick to blame men. There are some great men in this world and terrible women. This man has actually stepped up and is being treated like sh** from the mother for the past 5 yrs and has actually paid his child support and sees his son. The mother actually wants him to sign his rights away since she's remarried and he wants to relinquish his right. But she won't do it and it was her idea! She throws that up in his face every time she wants him to take his son and he can't, or has to work. So there are good men in this world don't be so quick to judge
    Libragirl68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 06:47 AM
    Smrtcookie -

Thank you for posting what you did. I agree that there are deadbeat dads out there, but there are also some mom's who all they see are $ signs instead of what's best for the child. I feel so bad for the dads who try and do everything to fix a situation and the mom fights them at every turn. :(
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Libragirl68 View Post
    Smrtcookie -

Thank you for posting what you did. I agree that there are deadbeat dads out there, but there are also some mom's who all they see are $ signs instead of what's best for the child. I feel so bad for the dads who try and do everything to fix a situation and the mom fights them at every turn. :(
    Libragirl, that post was almost four years ago. Do you really think SC is reading it?
    Libragirl68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 08:14 AM
    AK Lawyer -

It doesn't matter if Smrtcookie reads it or not. I wanted to get my opinion out there on what she wrote. Maybe others will read it and not be so harsh on the dad's who are trying to do good for their kids, and the mom's are the actual deadbeats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Signing over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was...

Co-signing [ 7 Answers ]

A friend aked if I would Co-sign for him on a six hundred thousand dollar home because his credit score is below seven hundred. If I did this, what would my legal obligations be. Can I go back a revoke at any time.

Signing over parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how this would work. I am pregnant, and the father has a good job, stable, no drugs or alco problems, but he is not sure he wants to have a child. In his eyes it's all or nothing, either he stays and is involved 100% or he signs over his rights. So my question is, can he just...

View more questions Search