Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    merloforever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 08:10 PM
    My common law husband kicked me out! What are my rights?
    My (common law) husbad and I have been living together for almost a year. We split the bills from day 1. We bought the house we're in, but everything is in his name: the title, all bills. Now he wants to break up. What are my rights in this situation? Would I have any rights to stay on the house?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 11:34 PM

What state are you in?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 03:19 PM

Most common law marriages have persons living together as if husband and wife for much longer then 1 years time to qualify for common law marriage in the States its allowed in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 05:40 PM

Yes, in the US few states accept common law at all, and even where it is, you have to live together longer than a year. So where you are at makes a difference, if not the terms are my boyfriend and I separated

So the were is important, in most places in the US you would have little or no rights
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Unless you can tell us you became a "common law" spouse according to the law in one of the few states that allow that sort of thing, I will assume that you are mistaken when you claim to be in a common law marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by merloforever View Post
    ... We bought the house we're in, but everything is in his name: the title, ...
    It looks to me that "we" didn't buy it, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by merloforever View Post
    Now he wants to break up. What are my rights in this situation?? Would I have any rights to stay on the house??
    None, assuming he goes through the steps required to evict an unwelcome tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Common law rights [ 1 Answers ]

Been in a relationship about 5 years 4 of those years living at her families house she could not handel living there no more I said I would buy a house if she got a job she has one kid one month in the house she quit her job and now she is threatening to take me to court need some answers and we...

Ontario common-law spousal rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I live in the city of Toronto, province of Ontario in Canada. I am a common-law spouse to my current wife. She owns the house that we live in and I pay her monthly room & board to defray living costs. She has given me 30 days notice to leave her house. Is this legal in view of Ontario...

Common law rights [ 1 Answers ]

My common law husband suddenly passed away from a massive art attack.I need to know what rights I have as my husband didn't have a will.I do have a document from the Commissioner of Ontario of cohabitation of 10 years.Please help me.

Common law benefits or rights [ 3 Answers ]

I lived with my boyfriend for 20 years in New Jersey. He recently died. Am I entitled to his social security benefits? We have a child together who is 25 years old. I can prove his residency with me for all those years.

View more questions Search