Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KyleS28 Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Oct 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Talaniman. Relationship rules discussion.
    One of talanimans rules is after getting dumped never say you can't be friends? Just wondering why you suggest this. This is what I don't understand about women. What if the break up was because I wasn't opening up enough?

Is it better to fight for them and refuse to settle for a friendship/anything less than a relationship with them

Or

Say you are fine with being friends and act like you don't even care?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 07:50 PM

What exactly is right for your situation. What do you feel comfortable with. Not every situation is the same. What can you live with. What do you want to do?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 08:21 PM

Talaniman Rule- While they are dumping you, never say you can't be friends. Agree to whatever they want, then disappear from their life.

Its all about you keeping your dignity, and self respect, and loving yourself enough to have a chance to heal without them. Then the world is a vastly different place, without the head games, and emotional roller coasters.

Things are a lot better without the emotional baggage, and you get to see reality for what it is, and make good decisions for yourself, based on facts and not just feelings. The best part is you can put your priorities in the right order, and see better options, and opportunities for yourself.

Its no longer about them, or getting them back, but you being able to do the right thing for yourself. Its about being healthy, and happy without them.

Glad you asked, any more questions??

after getting dumped never say you can't be friends?
    Don't argue, beg, or plead. No crying either.
    this is what I don't understand about women. What if the break up was because I wasn't opening up enough?
    Doesn't matter what the reason for a break up is.
    is it better to fight for them and refuse to settle for a friendship/anything less than a relationship with them
    When you get dumped you bow out gracefully, and keep your dignity and self respect. Then do your thing and enjoy it.
    say you are fine with being friends and act like you don't even care?
    Don't even start playing silly mind games, they are a distraction, waste of time, and they backfire really quick.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 08:43 PM

Also Kyle,

Why would you even try to stay with someone if they are over, done?

Why fight for a relationship?

When someone is finished, they are finished. Period.

Keep yourself respect and move on...
    mystific Posts: 340, Reputation: 308

Oct 18, 2010, 09:46 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...hs-517801.html
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Thank you. Now it makes sense.
    wonderlife Posts: 56, Reputation: 53

Oct 20, 2010, 12:03 AM
    I also don't understand and like to ask you about this rule as well. Anyway, after seeing your answer, I guess you mean when someone dumps or wants a break up with us, there's no need to make it dramatic or emotional: beg them/ blame them/ or say anything either it negative or positive as you think we should just simply agree and leave them alone. That's how we can handle breakup with dignity. My understanding is correct, right?

Anyway, that phrase was one of the things I said when my ex wanted a breakup. I said "Listen, I will never ever be friends with you, Ever." After that last conversation, I just totally disappeared. Haha... your rule makes me feel like "Urgh!! I said it!"

Then it's not only about never say "you can't be friends". It's more like " just don't say anything much" but simply agree and with them I guess.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 20, 2010, 03:48 AM

When a relationship ends, if both parties are happy to treat one another as friends and have exactly the same feelings as they would with other friends then OK.

But, this means being genuinely happy for one another when they meet a new partner.
    It means fully accepting that being friends is a better place for both than being in a relationship.
    It means being able to be a shoulder to cry on when the other person has difficulties, maybe with new relationships, and feeling fine about it.
    It means being able to feel exactly the same way towards them as towards other friends in all situations.
    It means any new partner you have will not feel threatened by them in the future.

Theoretically possible. Rare in practice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Happy Birthday to Our Senior Relationship Expert, talaniman! [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, All! I just noticed that it's his birthday today, January 10th, and wanted to wish him a great one! :D Please also do so. He is so incredibly helpful on this site and really knows his stuff! Thanks!

My rules to protect myself in a relationship [ 20 Answers ]

#1. Don't start falling for him until he says that he really really likes me and loves me. Fell for this one and then realized rule #2. #2. Don't start falling for him until he shows me that he really really likes me and loves me. Examples: He picks up my calls, he takes me out to...

Relationship Rules To Remember [ 10 Answers ]

If someone wants you If he/she wants you nothing can't keep them away If they don't want you nothing can make them stay The volume on your intuition is turned up don't ignore it Don't make justification for their improper behavior If they mistreated you why are you moping around as if...

Open discussion (our rules of attraction) [ 19 Answers ]

Women: What are some things you do when interested in someone. Men: What are some things you do when interested in someone. This might be an interesting compare and contrast for both sides. Some possible notes:

View more questions Search