Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burny7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Is this considered child abandonment?
    In Mar. of 2010 my daughter and her mother were taking to FL from IN by my child's grandmother.At the time my daughter's mother was unaware of the laws in IN and didn't realize she was leagally emancipated once she became pregnant.It took me until Aug. of 2010 to get down here to FL to be with my daughter.I'm not currently on the birth certificate but I have let the state of FL know I am the father.Now they are charging me with child abandonment... Is it possible to get these charges dropped and Could I charge my child's grandmother with kidnapp?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 12:50 PM

They can attempt to get you charged with abandonment, but I am thinking it has not happened yet, right? Her moving, you staying put is not abandonment. Did you communicate at all during the last 5 months and did you contribute any money to help feed and cloth the child?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burny7 View Post
    ... Could I charge my child's grandmother with kidnapp?
    I don't see how. Who would have been the kidnap victim? Did she take either your daughter or your daughter's mother against her will?

Do you mean custodial interference? Was there a custody order in place which was violated? Your child's mother, was arguably emancipated, at least under Florida law, so if so, she had the right to take her child with her and (assuming no custody order), it wouldn't be a violation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 03:21 PM

Not sure exactly but they can try and charge you by lying to the courts or authorities. ( or tell just their side of story)
    So you hire a good lawyer, and let them handle any statements and answers about the issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is considered child abandonment in Arkansas? Mom is a violent alcoholic. [ 1 Answers ]

Custodial parent threw sixteen year old son out last year in Kentucky. He is now living with non custodial father's parents in Arkansas. She does not contact the child or support him financially. What can be done? How do you go about starting it?

What is considered child abandonment? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a friend who has two kids. She left them in the care of her sister for a night and then her parents wanted to keep the children the next night to take them to church the next morning. (She has lived with her parents with the children for a couple of months). When she went to come home her...

What is considered to be " child abandonment"? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a very rough , rough divorce,my x husband & I have joint custody ,Im residential parent... however,he isn't practicing his rights to see our children (12 & 14 yrs old),he pays child support on time but says he is moving out of state to start a new job in his home town, what are the...

What is considered child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée has been divorced since May 2000. At that time his exwife and him were awarded shared custody. She was around the kids for a few months and then decided she did not want to be around them any more and she had not seen them until 2008 at a couple ball games? Now my fiancée just got served...

What is considered Child Abandonment in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

My son and I and his girlfriend lived in Ohio. We moved to Florida a year ago and my grandson was born here in Florida. My son has decided to move back to Ohio and she wants to stay here in Florida. They never married, however, he is named the father on the birth cert. They are still living...

View more questions Search