Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sw1rmd85 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Water Pressure
    I have low water pressure in the hot side of my kitchen faucet. It's definitely not the faucet since its brand new. I also took apart the pipes underneath and turned on the water hoping it would blast through a blockage; however, there were no signs of any buildup and the water pressure was very low there as well. We know a guy who's sopposedly a plummer. He came over and is blaming the problem on the water heater, though I highly doubt this considering hot water pressure throughout the house is perfectly fine; the problem is only in the kitchen. So basically do you think? Is it in fact my water heater or possibly a rust buildup somewhere in the piping from the water heater to the faucet or is it something else? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 31, 2006, 09:54 AM
    It is more likely an anode rod than rust. The anode rod is the large nut-like opening on the top of your heater. This rod is designed to slowly deteriorate so the tank itself does not deteriorate. When the rod is nearly gone large flakes and specks can fall off and get suspended in the water. These specks can build up in the control valve, hot only, and lower your water pressure. Shut off the watermain, flush your tank, remove and check the rod, disassemble the control faucet and clean. New anode rods can be purchased at most hardware and big box home stores.

Dec 31, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Ill check it but is it likely the rod since my tank is only about 4 years old? And hypothetically it Isn't the rod... would the water heater have to be replaced or is the plummer who told me that totally wrong? And also, if the anode rod is reducing my water pressure, wouldn't the hot water pressure throughout the house be low and not JUST in my kitchen faucet? Because my hot water pressure in every other faucet is perfectly fine? Thanks

Dec 31, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Most tanks will last 6 to 12 years depending on initial quality. Rods should last more than 4 years but they start to deterirate the moment you fill your tank with water. If your tank is near the end of its warranty it might not be a bad idea to replace it. Water heaters are a little like car batteries. If they are warrantied for 6 years they will frequently die 6 years and 1 month later.

Dec 31, 2006, 10:14 AM
    And the anode valve can affect JUST my kitchen faucet while my other faucets are fine right? Or is that not possible?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2006, 11:12 AM
    If you have a anode rod disintegrating, a dip tube going bad or excessive mineral buildup in the heater the first faucet making a draw will suck the crud up into it. However, having said that I find it odd that the other faucets aren't affected.

" I also took apart the pipes underneath and turned on the water hoping it would blast through a blockage; however, there were no signs of any buildup and the water pressure was very low there as well."

That takes it away from the faucet and locates it in the branch or the seat of the angle stop.
    Shut off the water at the house stop or the hot water off at the heatet and remove the angle stop. Check the seat for crud and trash. Now turn the hot water back on while holding a pan to catch the water. Strong stream now? You have just located the source of your pressure loss. Good luck, Tom

Dec 31, 2006, 02:29 PM
    One last thought! I am assuming that you used a shut off valve under the sink when you replaced the faucet. The crude or restriction could be in that valve. Shut off the main and remove the hot water supply valve under the sink. Inspect it while the valve is in the open position. If it is a straight line valve you should be able to see a perfect circle right through the valve. If you can get a helper now would be a good time to slip a piece of hose on the pipe where you removed the valve. Run the hose into the sink or in a bucket. Have your helper open and close the main very quickly to avoid a mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search