Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    my_alibi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 01:31 AM
    How to care for vintage silver and copper?

I have a lot of vintage silver and copper items. They are very tarnished. There is a battle going on now as to what you are supposed to do. Are you supposed to leave them tarnished to show their age or do you clean and polish them so they look beautiful again?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 01:37 AM
    Hi, my_alibi!

What do you mean by "vintage", please?

Thanks!
    curtisst Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2010, 07:19 PM

Are we talking silver plated or sterling silver? I clean both will no apparent ill effects with a silver cleaner. But of course if it is silver plated, the more you clean the more you wear down the silver plating. There are abrasives in most all commercial silver cleaners.
    my_alibi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 08:37 PM
    I have both sterling and plated, brass, and copper items dating from the 60's and 70's to as far back as the early 1900's. I am selling everything so i want to make sure it is taken care of properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silver On Copper Tea Set. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Tea Set which is a family heirloom. Due to my grandfathers request I have been assigned the job of giving this tea set a value. I am aware that it will most likely not be more than a thousand, but I still would like to know a little more about it. The Markings are as follows: the...

Mole Ratios: Silver Nitrate + Copper (Equation) [ 15 Answers ]

\ Silver Nitrate + Copper AgNO3 + Cu ---> CuNO3 + Ag The reaction starts with weight of empty beaker - 111.420

Copper silver nitrate equation [ 13 Answers ]

I have completed the lab and understand the concepts but seem to be missing the forest for the trees. The only question I have not answered is the "purpose of the lab". Any thoughts?

View more questions Search