Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abarnhill25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 06:44 PM
    My cat is acting strange
    I have a female cat a little more than a year old or so. She has been gaining weight recently in the past month or so. But today she seems to be acting really werid. She id constantly meowing kind of under her breath and lays on her right side or lays on her stomach with her butt in the air. She is also rubbing her head on everything and wants to stay under me at all times. She isn't really entergectic as she noramlly is but has little spirts of energy. I am really worried and don't know if I should take her to the vet.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Has she been spayed? If not, then she is in heat.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 07:04 PM
    If you have not had her fixed, then she is surely in heat!

It is really freaky the first time you ever experience it.
    panther195 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jan 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Sounds like she's in heat.heres the simple easy solution... get her spayed.
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Your cats in heat if you get her spayed this will get rid of the problem
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Jan 3, 2007, 05:32 PM
    you said she's spayed so it's a possibility for the weight gain. (or so that's been a common thing among other cat owners i noticed) Also, female cats seem to be emotionally independant more so than male cats so when they do become unusually affectionate, it can catch you off guard.

my female cat has always been a bit crazy too so random change in personality is nothing new for her. Sometimes i think she's playing behavioural experiements on me. Mine tries various ways to notify me she wants to play, be petted, hungry or wants to go for a walk outside. They even practice different pitches of "meow" to see which one piques your interest when one type of meow doesn't get you to do what they want.
    Maybe she's using this new found method to get your attention for any of the above.

Or if you're cat is exceptionally tempermental, perhaps she senses a cat has moved in next door and wants reassurance that you love her. Some cats even trip out over something as simple as rainy weather.

A vet will ask if any change in cat behaviour:
    have you changed her food?
    has anything changed in the house?(moving around furniture, her food, her litterbox, new furniture)
    any new pets?
    new people moving in(aside from regular visitors)?
    Any changes to her routines?(not going outside as often anymore)

be most cautious if she starts acting funny around the kitty litter box, if she's squatting or peeing strangely and starts making loud "meowls" consistantly, that is a potential emergency.
    NatashasMum Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarnhill25
    I have a female cat a little more than a year old or so. She has been gaining weight recently in the past month or so. But today she seems to be acting really werid. She id constantly meowing kinda under her breath and lays on her right side or lays on her stomach with her butt in the air. She is also rubbing her head on everything and wants to stay under me at all times. She isn't really entergectic as she noramlly is but has little spirts of energy. I am really worried and don't know if I sould take her to the vet.
    If your cat isn't spayed then she is in heat. Female cats will become very friendly when in heat. You can actually go on line and get a certificate to get her spayed for pritty cheap. Just do a search for Friend Of Animals. You fill out a quick little questionairre and they will send you a certificate. Just be sure to call around to your local vets and see which ones accept the certificates. Good luck!
    ElPregnato Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 10:01 AM
    My cat is doing exactly what was said in the question, and I found out that she was in heat via my mam... but here's my problem she seems to be doing it a lot... going back to normal then acting strange again and my mam said that sometimes when it's there first time coming into heat it the cycle is abit weird... but she's gone back to normal and then acting strange again about 5 different occasions within the last 1 or 2 month?
    ElPregnato Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Haha I've just noticed this question is from 2007 LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is acting strange... [ 5 Answers ]

In the past month my 8 year old cat, liddy has been acting very odd. Specifically within the past week she has been very seclusive. She rarely comes when we call her.. and she almost seems to ignore us! My first though was to take her to the vet.. I thought she might be losing some of her hearing.....

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Doxie acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

About 4 weeks ago my 4 year old mini-doxie, Daisy, started acting strange. She wouldn't do the stairs, get up on her hind legs, or walk around too much. We took her to the vet and he told us that she probably hurt a muscle in her back and gave us some cortisone pills to give her. 3 days later...

Kitten acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend my husband and I took our kitten with us to my parents house. They have two adult cats who didn't seem aggressive toward my kitten but were not openly friendly either. They left her alone unless they thought she was invading their space and then would hiss. Other than that we...

Cat has been acting strange [ 1 Answers ]

I've just started noticing a change in behavior in my 6 1/2 year old cat. He found a spot under the bed where he spends almost his entire day, except to come out to eat. He doesn't come out as normal when I get up or come home from work, won't come out for treats, won't come when called and...

View more questions Search