Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorthernNiceGuy Posts: 238, Reputation: 75

Sep 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
    2.5 yrs later... with a new question
    Great to see there are some familiar faces still giving great advice!

Wow, haven't been to this site in almost 1.5 years... Got me through my "life ending relationship" haha... Oh how things have changed. Went from a depressed mess to not caring either way about her or what we had. Got my life going, finished my degree realized my dream of becoming a police officer 6 months ago... Life couldn't be better... and to top it off she moved back to the city and asked if we could start over... there may have been mild satisfaction in hearing this but at the end of the day I just didn't care. I said no and that was that...

Anyway, here is a quick one for all of you... for some reason its been on my mind, when most wouldn't really look at it as an issue. I'll be 25 in 4 months and have dated quite a few girls since my break up. They have all been my age or within a year but no one has really caught my interest and I have ended all of them. My job occasionally brings me to the Emergency Room and while there last week I ran into an old acquaintance I had met at university. She was just starting her degree when we met and I was just finishing up. Anyway, she was working at the hospital and has 2 more years before she will be graduating. We had a pleasant exchange so I decided to ask her if she wanted to go for a drink... (drinking age in ON Canada is 19) she was game for it and we are going to get together this week. So to my question, I found out she is 20... big deal right? I'm 24 and she is 20... I will be 25 shortly so I look at it as 25yr old with a 20 yr old. I understand that maturity level means a lot and she seems on my level... that being said I have dated 26 yr olds that have the maturity levels of teenagers so I will see how it goes on that note. Guess my question is, does anybody see anything wrong with a 25 yr old dating a 20 yr old? I searched it on the internet and nothing even comes up for it, so I think it may all be in my head. Just wanted the opinion of some of my peers? What do you guys think?

Also, I have a feeling this may have something to do with it... My sister is 19, and to any big brother she has always been my LITTLE sister. And the fact that they are so close in age my be playing with my head.

Thanks all

NNG
    toby2010 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2010, 11:44 PM
    Hey, love the first paragrapagh this is amazing for you and shows how life can change and move on :) good for you. The age difference is no problem at all. You are both over legal ages and age difference should never be a problem if you both like each other and it works. Don't listen to if anyone thinks any difference its your relationship not yours. If you best friend was in a relationship with someone 5 years younger and was really happy with it, would you think its wrong? Because I wouldn't.

Hope it goes well and glad to know life is back on track
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 11:52 PM

Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you got your life on track again and came back to tell us! Congratulations on getting into your dream career too!

You have my blessing (if you want it) to date this 20 y/o young woman. It sounds like she's in a good place studying to be a nurse. She's probably quite mature for her age and very sensible. A nurse and a cop -- interesting combination. Bet you will have lots of "war stories" to tell each other. Wish I could come along on your date!
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 08:57 AM

Go out and have fun. She sounds like she has her life on track. I also agree with wondergirl in reference to your careers. She will be able to understand the possibility of dealing with life and death everyday.
    bigdee Posts: 132, Reputation: 20

Sep 28, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernNiceGuy View Post
    Guess my question is, does anybody see anything wrong with a 25 yr old dating a 20 yr old?
    No, not really. And as both of you get older, a 5 year difference will mean very little.

Welcome back to the site! Actually this is my first visit in quite some time too. I actually was posting in another forum (Nutrition) and decided to come back to the forum that I first came to 2 years ago for help. Nice to see some familiar names around!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 07:29 PM

Hello again guy, didn't recognize you with such a short post. Glad you started putting it together for yourself. Thought you would in time, though.

As to your latest question, the only thing that has to hold you back is high expectations too fast, Otherwise, take your time, and enjoy getting to know each other. Even if it doesn't last, at least you enjoyed the experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

>5 yrs on F1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on F1 visa since 2004-till date... So 2009 would be my 6th tax year as a student. Which forms do I file? Thanks

A is 4 yrs older than B, in 7 yrs the sum of age will be 70 how old are they? [ 7 Answers ]

Math problem A is 4 yrs older than B in 7 years the sum of their ages will be 70. How old are they now?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

35 yrs of marriage -33 yrs of disagreements and misery for both [ 7 Answers ]

Have been married for 35 yrs - all we have shared is two children who ar both 30 + and married. In the last ten years I have heard no compliments, kind word or had happy conversation. On one hand she nags me & criticizes me to death to watch my diet, but makes my life absolute hell. I am sure...

View more questions Search